iMac Pro Vega 56 vs eGPU 6800XT worth it?

Notifications
Clear all

iMac Pro Vega 56 vs eGPU 6800XT worth it?  

RSS

HetzlTV
(@hetzltv)

Hi guys,

I am pretty curious about if the RX  6800XT  eGPU will outperform the internal  Vega 56  of the  iMac Pro ? BUT WITHOUT using an additional display!!! As I intend to upgrade it if its worth the boost. Most of the time I am doin' Video Editing and in MacOS gaming like ESO or WoW in 2k and I would like an upgrade to 4k, so I do not plan to use a bootcamp setup just MacOS. P.S.: Im am aware of the fact that MacOS currently does not support plug and play for the latest GPUs from AMD!

Okay maybe I need to specify what I want to know! is the eGPU differently managed under MacOS then under Windows Bootcamp? I mean under Windows Bootcamp you need an additional display otherwise the eGPU looses between 50 and 70% of its power.

So for an example will a current 5700XT eGPU connected via Thunderbolt 3, no other device connected via thunderbolt - under MacOS deliver better performance then my Vega 56? As it clearly will not under Windows without using an external (additional monitor/display)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@hetzltv, The idea for eGPU loopback acceleration is the same in both macOS and Windows. The eGPU would handle the work load then transfer it back to the iGPU/dGPU to display onto the internal screen. Computing tasks typical have less performance loss vs gaming tasks through the Thunderbolt interface. Ultimately it's down to eGPU support by the app/game. If they are well optimized to handle eGPU, the RX 6800 XT eGPU should be able to provide a boost over your Vega 56 dGPU. Less heat for the iMac Pro's cooling system also helps the computer runs better.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

HetzlTV liked
ReplyQuote
HetzlTV
(@hetzltv)

Great, thanks for your response. I decided to take the 6900XT with the Mantiz Saturn Pro V2. The 6900XT is also faster compared to the 6800XT. If the performance loss is too big for my taste I will get an additional display. Hopefully Apple will support this generation of GPUs for eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote