iMac Pro Vega 56 vs eGPU 6800XT worth it?

Notifications
Clear all

iMac Pro Vega 56 vs eGPU 6800XT worth it?  

RSS

HetzlTV
(@hetzltv)

Hi guys,

I am pretty curious about if the RX  6800XT  eGPU will outperform the internal  Vega 56  of the  iMac Pro ? BUT WITHOUT using an additional display!!! As I intend to upgrade it if its worth the boost. Most of the time I am doin' Video Editing and in MacOS gaming like ESO or WoW in 2k and I would like an upgrade to 4k, so I do not plan to use a bootcamp setup just MacOS. P.S.: Im am aware of the fact that MacOS currently does not support plug and play for the latest GPUs from AMD!

Okay maybe I need to specify what I want to know! is the eGPU differently managed under MacOS then under Windows Bootcamp? I mean under Windows Bootcamp you need an additional display otherwise the eGPU looses between 50 and 70% of its power.

So for an example will a current 5700XT eGPU connected via Thunderbolt 3, no other device connected via thunderbolt - under MacOS deliver better performance then my Vega 56? As it clearly will not under Windows without using an external (additional monitor/display)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@hetzltv, The idea for eGPU loopback acceleration is the same in both macOS and Windows. The eGPU would handle the work load then transfer it back to the iGPU/dGPU to display onto the internal screen. Computing tasks typical have less performance loss vs gaming tasks through the Thunderbolt interface. Ultimately it's down to eGPU support by the app/game. If they are well optimized to handle eGPU, the RX 6800 XT eGPU should be able to provide a boost over your Vega 56 dGPU. Less heat for the iMac Pro's cooling system also helps the computer runs better.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

HetzlTV liked
ReplyQuote
HetzlTV
(@hetzltv)

Great, thanks for your response. I decided to take the 6900XT with the Mantiz Saturn Pro V2. The 6900XT is also faster compared to the 6800XT. If the performance loss is too big for my taste I will get an additional display. Hopefully Apple will support this generation of GPUs for eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rutlemaniac
(@rutlemaniac)

@hetzltv, I have an 5700XT in a Razer Core X Chroma. I was using it with an old iMac 2015 but got an iMac Pro base model 64GB RAM. So I tried using it in FCPX, render speeds are significantly faster than the Vega56. I don't use an external monitor but I had to put dummy plugs in 3 of the ports on the card but it works great. 

What did you end up doing? How's it working?

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote