Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Juice worth the squeeze? Late 2015 iMac 27

Juice worth the squeeze? Late 2015 iMac 27  

RSS

rr697
(@rr697)

First off, hello! I'm new posting here but have been reading non stop the past few weeks and I'm in quite the fork in the road. First off here is my machine specs:

iMac Late 2015 5K 27" Retina
OS: Mojave 10.14.4 (do not want to go back to High Sierra)
Processor: 4GHz intel core i7
Memory: 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
1 TB Internal HD
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

Now that you have seen up my skirt let me tell you guys what I do. I'm primarily an adult video editor that uses FCPX. I use lots of "effects" and work with 4k 8 bit footage. Under the most stressful times my computer is using 20gb of its 32GB of ram and the CPU has a 96% load...... I'm under the impression that if I had a different GPU that all would be well. I have weighed options of going to a PC or building a VM mac/pc. Unfortunately anyway I turn I will loose my beautiful 27" 5K display that lets me edit 4k footage at 100% resolution while editing....this is something I do not want to loose.It makes no sense to "upgrade" the "horsepower" and then be stuck on a shittier display when having the highest quality display is extremely important to me. Anyway enough of the rant.... point me in the right direction please and tell me what some realistic expectations in speed are.

Is this is good as it gets with TB2 and Mojave? How much better is it than what i have?
Sonnet Breakaway 550w box with a nVidia GeForce GTX Titan Black graphics card and using the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter

So lets say I run the programs here on the form to run a TB2>TB3 eGPU on Mojave I have to use an older non Nvidia card.... what kind of gains will i get over my stock AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB. even if it was a 50% gain this would save me a shit ton of time and increase my productivity..... I'm trying to make this mac last a little longer until Apple releases the new Mac Pro.

Late 2015 iMac 27” 5k - Sonnet 550w - Radeon Vega 56 ( slower than before)

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
tb2
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

FCPX can take great advantage of an eGPU even over Thunderbolt 2 connection. I’d recommend an RX Vega 56 + Sonnet Breakaway 550 in your case. When I used a similar eGPU setup with my Mac Pro trashcan, the FCPX performance improved significantly over the dual D500 discrete GPUs.

Keep in mind your system is as quick as its slowest component. I’m seeing the internal HDD being a weak link here. Do you use faster external storage for scratch drive?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
rr697
(@rr697)

Thanks for your quick reply! I will order this stuff on amazon right now. I see there is several different variants of the RX Vega 56 which is the exact one I should go with? got everything else in my cart.

As far as storage, I keep the current video I'm editing on my internal storage along with apps and OS and keep everything else on backups. The exact HD it has in it is the APPLE SSD SM1024G 1TB. Is this slowing me down? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. 

On BlagicMagic Speed test with 5gb load it gives me 1200 mb/s write and 1950mb/s read

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse would be my recommendation. It’s a Nano PCB with massive cooling to keep it running nice and quiet. Also good to hear your iMac has a solid state drive rather than spinning drive. You should see FCPX performance similar to my Mac Pro build. Do let us know once you get everything up and running. We’d love to see how adding an eGPU helps with your workflow. You may be able to edit and watch those 4K footage in real-time.

ReplyQuote
rr697
(@rr697)

I will definitely update you, should have parts Monday and I will be active on here! You linked the Sapphire would this card be any better paired with the sonnet 550w? RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The MSI Air Boost is a blower style card and it’s very loud during load.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

+1 for a pulse over an air boost, I had a pulse for a week and they are great looking cards, sadly it didn’t fit my Razer Core. Currently have a blower style 56 and oh boy it gets loud! I’ve had to move my eGPU to a shelf under my desk due to the noise, can’t imagine it would be great when editing video.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

What exactly is the advantage of blower style cards? Are they in any aspect better than "open" cards?

Here is a build of mine with Vega 56 Pulse. It's very silent.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@oliverb I believe/think it’s to do with airflow, blowers direct the hot air out the back which means out of the case/enclosure. 

Another advantage is your neighbours will be able to hear when you’re gaming so they’ll know any screams and shouts are only because you’ve been obliterated in Pubg by a teenager, again.

(I won’t be buying blower again). 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@eightarmedpet
lol hehe harhahrahr

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
rr697
(@rr697)

Well the parts are ordered! I will update soon with performance tests followed by a nice donation to the Purge Wrangler script. Probably will have a few questions but wish me luck.

The vega 56 and sonnet 550 box is as good as it gets for mojave and tb2 correct?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

There are more powerful AMD cards but given TB2 connection and current driver optimization in macOS, RX Vega 56 is the best choice imo.

ReplyQuote
rr697
(@rr697)

Sweet! Can't wait.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

(I won’t be buying blower again). 

My exact sentiments. First and last blower card.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance (Coming Soon)
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

Less than 6 months ago I didn't own any GPU's.  I started with a 1070 Ti blower and it's been pretty quiet in my ASUS XG Station Pro.  I just bought an Strix Vega 56 about a month ago and it also seems pretty quiet as well.  This is probably just because I haven't driven either of them to their limits, but they've been fine while playing Fortnite with the 1070 Ti slightly better in performance.

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote
rr697
(@rr697)

Should I get a UPS so if there is a power outage and it turns right back on the computer does. Ot get messed up with the egpu plugged in?

ReplyQuote
rr697
(@rr697)

I have the stupidest question and feel like a dumbass but please clarify. Am I suppose to have all 4 of these plugs from the sonnet plugged in?

plug

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

All pins need to be connected on your RX Vega 56 Pulse.

ReplyQuote
rr697
(@rr697)

Posted by: itsage

Plugged them in and did the install.... did a Geekbench and it has almost twice the score ~140,000 before was ~83,000 and on FCPX the playback is horrible. I enabled prefer EGPU what is going on wrong? I did a test clip on FCPX that ran on 95% CPU load before egpu and now its at 50% load so it seems like the EGPU working..... but why is my playback so horrible?

ReplyQuote
(@prasys)

Posted by: rr697
Posted by: itsage

Plugged them in and did the install.... did a Geekbench and it has almost twice the score ~140,000 before was ~83,000 and on FCPX the playback is horrible. I enabled prefer EGPU what is going on wrong? I did a test clip on FCPX that ran on 95% CPU load before egpu and now its at 50% load so it seems like the EGPU working..... but why is my playback so horrible?

Did you connect it to an external display ? If not , you are taking a performance hit as whatever your CPU is sending it to render , gets sent to GPU and back to CPU. It will take a hit

Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 1) - 8750H | 16 GB RAM | 1050 Ti (Onboard) | GAMING BOX RTX2070 eGPU

ReplyQuote