Notifications

Latitude 5480 compatibility  

RSS

hnm_ntn
(@hnm_ntn)

Hi guys, lots of stupid questions incoming, so don't roast me hard, please.

Just got the best version of Latitude 5480, the one that has the TB3 port. Next goal is of course getting a descent eGPU for this laptop and making something more usable of my 2012 dusty gaming rig - e.g virtualization server to live in my attic. But, there are some things I wanted to clarify first.

• My laptop shows it's not capable of eGPU support - pic releated. The BIOS, firmware and driver are the latest I could find on Dell website. How come? It's said to have 4 PCI lanes in this port. It is also charges via USB C PD adapter 65w no problem;
  • I've read a whitepaper by Sonnet saying that this should not be a problem, if I'm running NVM firmware 23 or lower. Why lower? Has anyone tested it? Is downgrade possible?
  • The eGPU itself - I know Gigabyte makes awful GPUs - the PCB is thin, it's design is stupid, cooling solutions are retarded (like that nVidia GPU with five small coolers on the side, not on the top - I'm pretty sure you know the one I'm talking about), but, their Aorus box with RX580/1070/2070 is pretty sleek, portable and has four USB ports - just enough to make it into a docking station. Many burned Gigabyte boxes here? On the other hand there is Sonnet Breakaway 350w box, which can handle e.g Sapphire Nitro RX580, which is a well-made GPU by a vendor, famous for its well-made GPUs. No docking at all though. Could be cheaper by $100 though.

So, I'm pretty puzzled about what to do.

tl;dr: is Latitude 5480 capable of utilizing eGPU even when it says it is not and what's the best choice for ~$650.

I'm really sorry for my English, thanks for your patience.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@hnm_ntn Welcome aboard! You can ignore that message in Thunderbolt Software saying your laptop does not support External GPU. It will work. For $650 you can go with a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming Box or RX 5700 XT + Mantiz Venus. Both options would provide eGPU, Power Delivery, and expansion ports.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
hnm_ntn
(@hnm_ntn)

@itsage

Yeah, thanks, for the info, will try soon!

Been looking at Aorus, think I'll go with it after all - the size of the box seems to be very handy. Venus is too expensive - costs $600 in my country, though looks good and I like the integrated NIC option.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@hnm_ntn I see the cost is high in your country. Currently it’s only $279 in the US is why I recommended it for your desired budget.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
hnm_ntn
(@hnm_ntn)

Okay guys, it works flawlessly with RX5700 and Sonnet Breakaway 350. Will update soon.

ReplyQuote