Latitude 7480 + TB16 - Need 4th Monitor  

RSS

(@balaji_venkatesh)
November 14, 2018 8:10 pm  

I currently have a Dell Latitude 7480 with TB16 Port Extender. It works fine and gives me 3 external monitors. But my line of work, I need atleast 1 more if not 2.

Dell support told me to get an eGPU through USB 3.0 port. Now with so many options here, Im thoroughly confused what is the correct way to go. I dont want to spend a ton of money though....

Specs Im looking for
1. Should work in parellel with Tb16 (which is connected through Thunderbolt 3 port)
2. Should give me atleast 1 more monitor port (even 1680 x 1050 is ok with me!)

Please help me choose...

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
November 14, 2018 10:40 pm  

If all you need is another simple desktop, you don't need an eGPU. Get a USB graphics adapter and that's it, something like this. Also, can't you just connect the monitor directly to your laptop (not through the dock)? Which graphics does the laptop have? Quite a few will support a 4th monitor (My ZBook's Quadro M1200 runs 4 easily: 2 off a TB3 dock, 1 is the laptop display, and 1 off another USB-C port via a USB-C to DisplayPort cable - No eGPU or any other adapter needed at all).

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote