LENOVO LEGION BOOSTSTATION (RTX2060) - Intel i78550U bottleneck (ThinkPad t480s)

Notifications
Clear all

LENOVO LEGION BOOSTSTATION (RTX2060) - Intel i78550U bottleneck (ThinkPad t480s)  

RSS

Emiliano Bolesani
(@emiliano_bolesani)

Hi everyone first post here. I have been trying to educate myself over the eGPU matter. 

I own a ThinkPad t480s with integrated MX150 graphics (laughable). I use this laptop for work and it is my main driver.

I was considering to get the lenovo legion booststation (here in Germany I can get it for around 450€). I am planning to to some gaming such as live strategy games (Total War Warhammer II and the sort..). I have a console for all the first person shooters and AAA titles. 

I used bottleneck calculator [ https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-8550U/GeForce_RTX_2060/0Nq137lu/16/100/ ] to figure out what type of performance I would get out of this pairing.

My question is: the 27% bottleneck is solely based on the CPU-GPU comparison or in addition to that I should add the TB3 bottleneck? I will only used it attached to a 2K external monitor (ThinkVision).

Do you guys think that this would make sense at all? I don't feel comfortable with a 2070 because it costs a lot more and I am afraid I won't get an appreciable benefit for the price. 

Thank you!!

This topic was modified 6 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Trusted Member

@emiliano_bolesani, I believe the Thunderbolt 3 implementation on the ThinkPad t480s is PCIE X2. While this is slower than the PCIE X4 Thunderbolt 3 allows for, it will still work with an eGPU, albeit with a slightly reduced maximum performance potential.

If an eGPU is what you want to go with, the Lenovo BoostStation looks like a good choice, although there are not many reviews I have seen to really compare it to something like the Mantiz Saturn Pro V2 or Razer Core X Chroma.

An RTX 2060 will run well, and you will see a massive performance increase over your MX150. You will be able to chew through a game like Total War, no problem.

Websites like the one you linked are a very rough guide, and the bottleneck that is mentioned would only really be seen in system benchmarks or in games that do not fully utilize the GPU's potential. In general, you will not notice the difference. I was recently running an i5-8259U + RTX 2070 Super combination, which theoretically has a worse bottleneck, and had absolutely no problem playing games such as Overwatch and Call of Duty: Warzone.

In saying all of this, remember that eGPU's are not always plug-and-play and you may need to do some troubleshooting to get your system performing smoothly. Look into similar builds and study up on what kind of investment you may be making, and if you do go through with it, make sure to follow the build guide and upload your system to the forum.

2018 Intel NUC8i5BEH [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 LTSC // modified 1947 Philips Model 100 Radio custom NUC case [build link]  

ReplyQuote