Looking for a 3 slot fitting eGPU (for MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO)  

RSS

(@4000)
October 16, 2018 8:00 pm  

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a bit and I need to get an eGPU ASAP to fit a MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO. It is a rather big card, taking in about 3 PCI slots.

Any one an idea? 

Thank you in advance!

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
Eminent Member
October 16, 2018 8:32 pm  

Hi there, 
Probably the only one it will fit is the Razer Core X, but only theoretically. There might be problems not only with the case, but also I have read some people can't plug in cables because there is really not enough space. The best idea would be try it out and if it won't work just return the card and get something else. I doubt if there is bigger case than Razer Core X.

I have decided to go for the MSI Duke because I wasn't sure if the TRIO will fit, and I did not like the design of it. You might also try ASUS STRIX it has top performance and similar price, but is a little smaller than TRIO.

It is probably worth to mention that every eGPU case have small space and with very big cards like GAMING TRIO it might cause heat issues. These cards are meat for big PC cases, and even mini-towers owners have some problems with it.

13" MacBook Pro + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Duke (Razer Core X)

ReplyQuote
(@4000)
October 16, 2018 8:38 pm  

Thanks for the prompt reply, I have yet to order the RTX 2080 so I can just change my choice. I just really need it before Friday (got a work thing where I need the extra power with my laptop) and most other cards weren't available such short notice. The MSI GeForce RTX 2080 DUKE also seems to be available for 1-day shipping so I'll probably just go for that card. Any recommendations for the best case for that one (money is no issue)? 

Update: Ordered the MSI GeForce RTX 2080 DUKE, had to otherwise it wouldn't have been delivered tomorrow. All I gotta find now is a chassis 😀

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 16, 2018 9:50 pm  
Posted by: 4000

Thanks for the prompt reply, I have yet to order the RTX 2080 so I can just change my choice. I just really need it before Friday (got a work thing where I need the extra power with my laptop) and most other cards weren't available such short notice. The MSI GeForce RTX 2080 DUKE also seems to be available for 1-day shipping so I'll probably just go for that card. Any recommendations for the best case for that one (money is no issue)? 

Update: Ordered the MSI GeForce RTX 2080 DUKE, had to otherwise it wouldn't have been delivered tomorrow. All I gotta find now is a chassis 😀

Duke is within core x gpu size requirement, so it’ll most probably be fine.

ReplyQuote
(@4000)
October 16, 2018 9:53 pm  
Posted by: Joikansai
Posted by: 4000

Duke is within core x gpu size requirement, so it’ll most probably be fine.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any place where I can get the Core X before Friday. I'm thinking of getting the Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650W, as I can get that on Thursday with Amazon Prime. Is that going to be just as good? Haven't found any 'success' stories here with a RTX 2080 and the Sonnet.

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
Eminent Member
October 17, 2018 3:09 pm  

I highly recommend that you try to get the Razer Core X.
Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box works only with shorter dual fan models like 2070 or Founders Edition cards.
You might also take a look at Akitio Node as it's 32 cm long, and MSI Duke is 31,4 cm long, but again it is only theoretically. 

My advice is: think wisely. Buying whatever's available may not be best option, and later you will regret you did not buy a better card or case. I know people have some problems with various cases, and I made a decision to go for Core X because it was pretty much always plug and play and fits almost all of the modern cards. 

13" MacBook Pro + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Duke (Razer Core X)

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 17, 2018 3:24 pm  

AKiTiO Node Pro is another good option that has plenty of clearance for 2.5-slot wide cards.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@4000)
October 17, 2018 4:17 pm  

Thank you both for your replies. I ended up ordering the Sonnet last night, it'll get here tomorrow. A guy on my reddit thread replied that he had the same card + sonnet (500). It does fit but he has about 2mm to spare lengthwise and it was quite a puzzle getting it in. I wish I could have ordered the Razer Core X, but unfortunately time-wise that wouldn't have worked out (it's out of stock on Amazon and shipping through Razer takes too long)

I'll update here Thursday when I have both the card + chassis.

ReplyQuote
(@4000)
October 19, 2018 12:49 pm  

For anyone for future reference: It fits & works! It was indeed a tight fit but I took out the PSU and that made it easier to get the card in place.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote