Looking for budget (under ~$750 USD) 2-in-1 eGPU-compatible laptop

Notifications
Clear all

Looking for budget (under ~$750 USD) 2-in-1 eGPU-compatible laptop  

RSS

sevenfold
(@sevenfold)

Hello

I'm looking for a 2-in-1 laptop to use with an eGPU. I've noticed that most posts on here are people looking for an eGPU for their existing machine, but since I'm going to get one, I wanted to make sure I was getting something potentially compatible with some kind of eGPU.

I'd like to make this my all in one machine for portable use (note taking, etc) and for gaming desktop-like use at home. I could see myself doing some photo/video editing with it as well.

So far, what I've found that mostly does what I'd like is the Acer Spin 3. There are a number of Acer Swift 3 builds on here, but I couldn't find any that used the Spin. Should I be concerned about potential incompatibilities if going for a new system like this? I'm not completely clueless when it comes to computers, but I also don't want to spend hours on making it work.

Lenovo also has some good options, but they were either too expensive (especially after adding the cost of the eGPU) or didn't have a Thunderbolt port.

I'd also consider a basic laptop docking station combo'd with a more powerful laptop, since I don't really need a particularly powerful GPU, (I've currently got an Nvidia GTX 1050 and it's been doing just fine for what I use it for) but I'd like to keep it portable and make sure it's got a decent battery life.

This topic was modified 9 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@sevenfold, I'd recommend getting a 2-in-1 with the i7-8550U quad core CPU. There should be plenty of options on the used market. Base configuration XPS 2-in-1 may fall in this price range soon. Toshiba Portege X series is another good choice. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sevenfold
(@sevenfold)

@itsage, thanks I'll check those out

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote