Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Looking for eGPUs that supports both 2015 iMac and 2019 MacBook pro

Looking for eGPUs that supports both 2015 iMac and 2019 MacBook pro  

RSS

(@thanasis_mpakogeorgos)

Hello, Im thinking of going into egpu solution to support my 2015 imac and my 2019 13,3 macbook pro.
What case are you suggersting that supports both of TB speeds? Is any change of using internal monitors? What gpu should i go ? Usage will be for video editing and gaming.
Thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

What's your budget? Currently RX Vega 56/64 is a good performance value for macOS.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@thanasis_mpakogeorgos)

my budget is around 600$, vega sounds as a good option but will it play with the older imac too? i think i should start with the right case first.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member

I'm using a Vega 56 with a 2014 iMac, so yes. The difficult part is actually the thunderbolt link, not the GPU (unless you go Nvidia, which is a recipe for trouble).

Assuming your iMac is thunderbolt 2 (3 is required for 'official' support), you'll want this to get it working: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/

ReplyQuote
(@thanasis_mpakogeorgos)

thank you for your reply, do you use external monitor or  imacs? Also what case are suggesting for this card?

ReplyQuote
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member

Yes, I use an external monitor plugged into the eGPU. An eGPU won't directly drive the internal display, because bandwidth over thunderbolt isn't that high (especially on an older mac with TB2) and it would be slower for a lot of things (especially with a 5K screen!) It will drive an external display plugged into it though. 

It'll also accelerate some apps that support eGPU on the internal display (e.g. rendering apps), and you manually can set a lot of apps to use the eGPU from Finder, regardless of which screen they're on.

I'm using a Sonnet eGFX box, which I've been very happy with. There are plenty of other options out there though, maybe some of the newer boxes are better.

ReplyQuote