Looking for purchase advice (Precision 7510 + Akitio Node + 1070/2070)  

RSS

fgervais
(@fgervais)
November 7, 2018 5:10 pm  

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster, I'd like to add a bit more graphical horsepower to my rig and I think it's time to take the eGPU plunge. 

My laptop is a well optioned Dell Precision 7510 (i7-6920HQ, 64GB of RAM, good SSDs, etc) besides the pretty bleh Quadro M1000M dGPU. A quick snapshot:

Highlighted is what I think is the x4 link to my TB3 port; I don't have anything to plug in it to actually make it report back, but between this and reading into other user's 7510 builds, I think I should be safe from other Dell's x2 link shenanigans.

The Akitio Node seems to fit the bill well for me since it's a no frills proposition and it's (kinda) readily available on the Canadian market. I did look at the Pro version, but beyond being arguably prettier, I can't justify the extra ~$150 CAD.

All that's left is deciding is the card itself; with Black Friday around the corner I'm keeping an eye out for deals. I'm familiar enough with the performance deltas between the various families (looking to get into either a 1070 Ti, 1080 (Ti) or 2070) to make an informed price/performance decision, however I'm not sure if there's anything specific I should keep in mind when it comes to an external enclosure. Specifically, I'm concerned about cooling.

Use case is a mix of games and Adobe, looking for general advice as to what I need to research. 

Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 7, 2018 5:48 pm  

@fgervais I personally do not recommend the Akitio Node as my experience was less than positive with the product. Perhaps consider a Sonnet instead. An overall good enclosure but somewhat expensive would be the Mantiz Venus.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
November 8, 2018 12:48 am  

@fgervais, I have a Dell Precision 7510 and have been testing a M.2 eGPU. This could be an alternative solution with remarkable performance. If you plan it right using a M.2 extender, can have a dockable external M.2 port to attach either your M.2 eGPU adapter or M.2 SSD. Whilst using the eGPU you would however have to boot either off a Wintogo USB or use the SATA connector to attach a drive there. See an example of such a build here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-15-6-dell-latitude-e5570-r7-m370-gtx-1070-32gbps-m2-adt-r3g-win10-jkeychen/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote