Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Mac Mini 2012: Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box OR Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck Radeon R...

Mac Mini 2012: Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box OR Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck Radeon RX 570?  

RSS

musico11
(@musico11)

I have a late-2012 Mac Mini (i7, 16GB, 1TB Fusion) and am hesitating between two portable eGPUs: 1) Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box, and 2) Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck Radeon RX 570. Do you think either of these will work with the TB3 to TB2/1 adapter and Purge-Wrangler/SIP off method described for old macs with more conventional encasing/eGPU combos (e.g., Sonnet Breakaway box / RX 580)? And if so, do you recommend 1) Gaming Box or 2) Breakaway Puck? I'm very interested in these for their portability (as I move from country to country a few months at a time during the year). Also, this is NOT for gaming purposes, but to allow me to work with Davinci Resolve 16. Any insights appreciated. Thanks so much.

Mac Mini late-2012
i7, 16 GB, 1 TB Fusion

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Yes, there are several 2012 Mac Mini builds using TB3 enclosures via an Apple TB3 TB2 adapter:

https://egpu.io/builds/?table_filter=%22%22TB3%20%22%20%222012%20Mac%20Mini%22%22

You can compare features of the Sonnet Puck RX 570 and Gigabyte Gaming Box in the Buyer's Guide.

There is also the Powercolor Mini Pro RX 570 that combines some features of both these (external AC adapter, ITX RX 570) that might be worth a look.

This post was modified 1 month ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
musico11
(@musico11)

@nando4

Thanks so much! I didn't know about the Powercolor Mini Pro RX570! Will check it out!

Mac Mini late-2012
i7, 16 GB, 1 TB Fusion

ReplyQuote
ruslan
(@ruslan)

I would go with the upgradable option in case you decide to upgrade the graphics card in the future. The puck looks like it’s virtually non upgradable. 

“spend a bit more now to spend less later”, IMO.

Pending to give context to my posts: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature

ReplyQuote
musico11
(@musico11)

@ruslan

Thanks. Actually, this choice is not for price. In fact the Puck or the Gaming box is actually similar if not more expensive than the more conventional set ups. The reason for choosing this is due to size, as I move around quite a lot, so as much as possible, I want the eGPU to be transportable.

Thanks again.

Mac Mini late-2012
i7, 16 GB, 1 TB Fusion

ReplyQuote