Mac Mini 2018 eGPU advice  

RSS

willemsleegers
(@willemsleegers)
November 3, 2018 5:24 pm  

Hey everyone,

I bought a new Mac Mini which I want to also use for gaming. Part of my motivation to buy a Mac Mini for this purpose is that with eGPUs I can get the performance I need and potentially upgrade it over the years to keep up with games. 

With this in mind, what makes sense to buy?

ReplyQuote
willemsleegers
(@willemsleegers)
November 3, 2018 6:23 pm  

Currently I’m thinking the Razer Core X because it supports a large range of GPUs, including the AMD Vega series.

ReplyQuote
idontbyte
(@idontbyte)
November 3, 2018 6:34 pm  
Posted by: willemsleegers

Hey everyone,

I bought a new Mac Mini which I want to also use for gaming. Part of my motivation to buy a Mac Mini for this purpose is that with eGPUs I can get the performance I need and potentially upgrade it over the years to keep up with games. 

With this in mind, what makes sense to buy?

I would wait and see if Mac Mini works with eGPU in Windows and which hardware.

ReplyQuote
willemsleegers
(@willemsleegers)
November 3, 2018 7:01 pm  

That makes sense, but let's say that ends up not being a problem, is there an alternative to the Razer Core X that makes a lot of sense when future-proofing is part of the goal?

I also see that the Razer Core X is not being shipped to the Netherlands, which is problematic..

ReplyQuote
johnjkle
(@johnjkle)
November 8, 2018 7:32 pm  

@willemsleegers - there's a lot of discussion on this here:

https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/2018-mac-mini-for-egpu/

I only received my Mini yesterday and I'm using it with a Razer Core X and an Nvidia GTX 1080 - there were absolutely no problems getting everything up and running with this setup, I've posted details in the linked thread (1-2 BSODs during installation of drivers, but nothing that persists as an issue).

However, the CPU in the Mini (I have the 6 core 3.2GHz i7) is definitely thermal throttling under load - I'll be doing a bit more testing today and trying things like under volting or manual fan control. 

TL;DR; - the Core X works beautifully and there are no issues installing Windows via Boot Camp and getting everything running. The i7 though is indeed throttling and needs further investigation/tweaks, as I can't imagine running the system at 80C+ long term is good for it.

ReplyQuote
Perk
 Perk
(@perk)
November 11, 2018 1:33 pm  

I Just returned the Razer core X. The fans where to loud to my liking. I use my 2018 mac mini as a media server, Watching films and playing music. My mini stays on 24-7 and that is  quiet is important. Now i am planing to order Asus XG Station Pro instead as this has a feature that close of the fans when the temp of the Asus 580 rx 4gb below 55C. Hopefully the fans go on only when playing games and turns of when playing music  😀 

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member
November 11, 2018 1:42 pm  
Posted by: Perk

I Just returned the Razer core X. The fans where to loud to my liking. I use my 2018 mac mini as a media server, Watching films and playing music. My mini stays on 24-7 and that is  quiet is important. Now i am planing to order Asus XG Station Pro instead as this has a feature that close of the fans when the temp of the Asus 580 rx 4gb below 55C. Hopefully the fans go on only when playing games and turns of when playing music  😀 Or at least stays quiet when only the mac mini stays on.

I had both systems for testing and kept the Asus XG Station Pro. For me, the Razer Core X was too loud, too.  I would like to try the Mantiz Venus MZ-02, because of the better PD, but you hear that it has a fan problem, too. What a pity.
The Blackmagic eGPUs are very quiet, too, if AMD Radeon is a possibility for you,

You can see my builds here

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2018-13-qc-macbook-pro-gtx-1080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro-macos10-13-6-theitsage/

and

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-razer-core-x-evga-gtx-1080-ti-2/

Edit: And yes, Asus XG Station Pro has 0 db without load.

ReplyQuote
Perk
 Perk
(@perk)
November 11, 2018 3:02 pm  
Posted by: OliverB
Posted by: Perk

I Just returned the Razer core X. The fans where to loud to my liking. I use my 2018 mac mini as a media server, Watching films and playing music. My mini stays on 24-7 and that is  quiet is important. Now i am planing to order Asus XG Station Pro instead as this has a feature that close of the fans when the temp of the Asus 580 rx 4gb below 55C. Hopefully the fans go on only when playing games and turns of when playing music  😀 Or at least stays quiet when only the mac mini stays on.

I had both systems for testing and kept the Asus XG Station Pro. For me, the Razer Core X was too loud, too.  I would like to try the Mantiz Venus MZ-02, because of the better PD, but you hear that it has a fan problem, too. What a pity.
The Blackmagic eGPUs are very quiet, too, if AMD Radeon is a possibility for you,

You can see my builds here

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2018-13-qc-macbook-pro-gtx-1080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro-macos10-13-6-theitsage/

and

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-razer-core-x-evga-gtx-1080-ti-2/

Edit: And yes, Asus XG Station Pro has 0 db without load.

Thanks that's what i like to hear. 0 DB without load. I have XG station and ps4 controller ordered.
The XG station has the same color as the new mac mini as well. NICE.

ReplyQuote