Mac mini 2018 - eGPU Recommendations

Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini 2018 - eGPU Recommendations  

RSS

Muhammad Saad Bashir
(@muhammad_saad_bashir)

I want to install eGPU with my Mac mini. I have read some posts on the group saying RTX 2080 might not work with Catalina like it used. You have to hot-plug after the window boots. Is it still true? Is it only for Nvidia cards or even with other AMD cards? Which card would you suggest to be used with Mac mini for gaming on windows via BootCamp. I am looking for a smooth experience :$ I haven't used bootcamp before. Can the Windows 10 be updated or will have to disable the update for a smoother experience? Looking forward to some expert advise on the matter Smile

This topic was modified 7 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Muhammad Saad Bashir
(@muhammad_saad_bashir)

@mini-i5, Thank you so much for your kind response. As per your article you are running MacOS Big Sur 11.2, however I need to run Catalina for Xcode 🙁 Is there any specific reason you are running an old osX?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@muhammad_saad_bashir

I’m running Big Sur 11.2 and Windows 2004 20H2 which are the current OS versions.

I set Windows updates to install automatically on my Mini. There’s been a couple updates installed this past week. Windows is up to date and working well.

Apple and Microsoft have made Windows gaming easy for eGPU users.

It’s possible the final version of Catalina might include similar firmware for the Mini. So 10.15.7 supplemental update #2 might offer similar ease of use in Bootcamp. I don’t know for sure. Just a thought.

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RP W5500 (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.6 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RP W5500 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Muhammad Saad Bashir
(@muhammad_saad_bashir)

@mini-i5, thank you so much!! You have been most helpful! 

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote