Mac Mini 2018 + Node Duo (x2 even maybe?) + RTX 3080 x 2 (x4) for Mining

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini 2018 + Node Duo (x2 even maybe?) + RTX 3080 x 2 (x4) for Mining  

RSS

Remo Eerma
(@remo_eerma)

Hey !

I've been scrolling around a bit and found some interesting builds on your site. I'm looking into GPU cryptomining right now and might do some occasional gaming (Rust is my benchmark). So the build I'm interested in is in the heading and a few questions arise from that. My main interest is a little heater(could fill the role of a radiatior I guess ^^)/miner in a home setting that's going to look aesthetically fine also and doesn't make too much noise (living in a small flat with my partner rn).
So I'm wondering if I were to max out that mac mini, could I use up to 4x RTX 3080 (I've seen people use 2 only so far) and would they fit into 2x Node Duo or should I get some other egpu case for them ? And I guess I would need some extra pieces for powering them? And if anyone has experience with that, how stable is that system? If I were to leave home for up to 3 weeks and leave that on for example ?

Any input much appreciated, another dreamer here :).

Alright, I realized that Node Duo is never going to fit rtx 3080, letalone 2 of those :d. So I guess Mantiz would be my next choice in terms of price. Razer V2 was nice too, but I haven't found any in Europe and they are pricey.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Remo Eerma
(@remo_eerma)

Alright, I realized that Node Duo is never going to fit rtx 3080, letalone 2 of those :d. So I guess Mantiz would be my next choice in terms of price. Razer V2 was nice too, but I haven't found any in Europe and they are pricey.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@remo_eerma, The AKiTiO Node Duo is a very good choice for this purpose. You can remove the front fascia and fan to fit bigger/longer cards. I've tried a pair of GPUs this way before in the Node Duo. You will need to use a more powerful PSU in order to run them. The only downside with eGPU and eGPU in Boot Camp is that you're unlikely to run more than 2x eGPUs at a time. Two RTX 3080 running full hashrate should yield 200MH/s at 450W with sufficient cooling.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote