Notifications
Clear all

Mac OS + eGPU: Reference Cards 5700 XT  

of  2
  RSS

Orestis Aniftos
(@orestis_aniftos)

Hello everyone 👋 

I have recently ordered the new 10th gen 13” MBP (still being shipped 🙄) Razer Core X Chroma and... the XFX 5700 XT THICC II Ultra 

Now, I am familiar with apple’s article stating which GPUs are compatible, which include 5700/5700XT.

Overall, I have encountered many people experiencing issues with eGPUs and I am considering returning the Graphics card as it’s not the standard reference version, but a beefed up Version by XFX.

My question is simple: Does anyone know whether non-reference cards e.g. factory overclocked, different fan system ones (like the one I ordered) are still compatible with Macs, in an eGPU setting? Does anyone have a stable system with a 5700 XT that is not the reference version using an eGPU?

Please share your experiences as it would be invaluable to me at this stage!!!

stay safe!

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@orestis_aniftos

Yes, totally compatible with Mac OS.

In fact, most people prefer non-reference models. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
Orestis Aniftos
(@orestis_aniftos)

@mini-i5

Thank you very much for your response! And just to clarify, is this confirmed in an eGPU setting as well?? I mean, besides fitting one in a Mac Pro let’s say, have people tried these cards at all?

thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Orestis Aniftos
(@orestis_aniftos)

1. @mac_editor

hello

I have already looked at the builds available and noticed most people are using reference versions of Radeon Rx 5700 XT / or 50th Anniversary Edition.

The most relevant post I found was this

https://egpu.io/forums/postid/79553/

This individual however was experiencing problems with their build (Thicc III Ultra 5700 XT).

Any other recommendations?

BW

Orestis

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@orestis_aniftos

Yes, Apple officially supports eGPUs with current and recent TB3-equipped Mac models. Apple has a page of helpful guidelines:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

My PowerColor AXRX5700XT-8GBD card ($379 USD) has run perfectly, literally 10-12 hours everyday for 6 months. 

Also, the PowerColor Gaming Station GPU enclosure is only $250 USD.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
Orestis Aniftos
(@orestis_aniftos)

Dear @mini-i5

Thanks again for attaching the Apple article. Great to hear your Powercolor has made for a stable setup!

Do you know of anyone using an overclocked card model (like the one I ordered - XFX Thicc II Ultra 5700 XT) combined with an eGPU and a Mac System?

[I’m debating whether I should return it before my return policy expires, and buy a new one when my Macbook arrives so that I can actually test it.]

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@orestis_aniftos

This recent thread by @norcom is 99% about trying to run Windows games under Bootcamp.

But if you read the 1% about running Mac OS software on Catalina, you’ll see that he wrote his Thicc III and Core X Chroma work fine for video editing and 3D design under Mac OS.  

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/finally-working-macbook-pro-16-i9-razer-core-chroma-5700-xt-win1909-amd-20-4-1/

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@orestis_aniftos

Same with this recent thread by @remaker

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-16-macbook-pro-rp5300m-9th6ch-rx-5700-xt-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-4-win10-1903/

He says his Thicc II Ultra and Core X have no issues running Mac OS.

(And the rest of the thread is about Windows and Bootcamp)

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@orestis_aniftos

One more from @briefcase0j saying his Thicc III and Core X are a simple plug and play matter running Mac OS. (Followed by a bunch of Windows Bootcamp stuff).

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-16-macbook-pro-rp5500m9th8chradeon-rx5700xt32gbps-tb3-razer-core-xmacos10-15-3win10briefcase0j/

ReplyQuote
 of  2