Mac Pro Late 2013 - Required 8 Outputs

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Pro Late 2013 - Required 8 Outputs  

RSS

manojavpro
(@manojavpro)

Dear Mates, 

I am new to this forum, found it great to find assistance for my eGPU requirement.

I got a mac pro in late 2013 D700X2 where TB2X 6 Ports Graphic Ports 

I made a setup of 2X2 Video wall using the Samsung Odyssey G9, Each Screen resolution 5120X1440 Resolution where each display is connected (PBP Mode) 2Xmini DP (TB2) to DP cables to achieve (2 Nos DP 1.4 Cables for each display, each cable 2560X1440) Total 5120X1440 resolution. My 4th Display required 2 more graphic outputs to complete my current set up and I brought Razer Core X external enclosure and in doubt which graphic card I suppose to choose once my requirement is NOT FOR Gaming or Rendering, just 2 more extended outputs from my 2XD700 MacPro. I am using the MacPro only for office purposes (PDF, Microsoft Office) only. 

Kindly guide me on the above. thanks 

The setup image on the below link

G9 2X2
G9 2X2 1

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
manojavpro
(@manojavpro)

Hi Mates

Kindly Could anyone assist me with my request? Appreciated, thanks 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@manojavpro, How many of the 2013’s thunderbolt 2 ports are already being used? It sounds like all (6) thunderbolt ports are taken.

If not, then an older AMD card (RX 570, RX 580, or Vega 56) with (2) DP ports would be okay. You need the purgewrangler script to make it happen.

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
manojavpro
(@manojavpro)

Dear  Mate, 

Thanks a ton for your assistance. 

I have taken all 6 Outputs from mac pro for my 3 Nos X G9, 4th G9 left without any inputs, If I will remove 1 Thunder Bus line, I will lose 2 More displays out from my Macpro.  But, I got AMD Firepro W9000 (6X Mini DP) & AMD HD 7990 (4XMini DP) graphic cards with me and 2 Nos Razer Core X in hand. 

Could anyone confirm the above graphics card can be used with the 2013 Late Macpro D700X2 

I am extremely sorry, I just a beginner in eGPU 

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@manojavpro, There might not be drivers in MacOS for those (2) cards. 

If you manage to find an AMD Radeon Pro W5500 anywhere (despite the worldwide GPU shortage) and your daily software runs ok in MacOS Catalina or Big Sur, you can use the (4) mini DP outputs on the W5500.

Besides purgewrangler you’ll need Apple’s TB3 to TB2 adapter.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
manojavpro
(@manojavpro)

Dear Mate 

thanks again, I will try to find an AMD Radeon Pro W5500, currently the mac pro with Big Sur 11.3.1 and I already brought a TB3-TB2 from the Dubai apple store last day.

Much appreciated for helping me again. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@manojavpro, If you can return the Razer Core X, I would recommend the AKiTiO Node Duo. Install a pair of Radeon Pro WX 4100 graphics cards would allow you 4 sets of DPs to drive those Samsung Odyssey G9 monitors. A single Thunderbolt connection from one of the two bottom Thunderbolt 2 ports would then handle all monitors through the eGPUs. There's a DisplayPort passthrough on the AKiTiO Node Duo too in case you need another accessory monitor. Here's a 2018 Mac mini build I did with 2x RX 580 cards in the Node Duo [build link]. I did another 2018 Mac mini build with the Radeon Pro WX 4100 in macOS [build link] to test monitor outputs. You could see a pair of DPs can handle a 5K monitor similar to the Odyssey G9.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@manojavpro,

Mac Pro 2013 can't do single tile 5K resolution because of a bug (5120x1440 is within the DisplayPort 1.2 range but the AMD driver or the GPU outputs strange artifacts when the width is > 4096) so you are correct to use 2560x1440 instead. Is this still a problem in Big Sur 11.3.1?

You should be able to connect 6 displays to the Mac Pro 2013 without an eGPU. You can connect two per Thunderbolt bus. There are three buses. A Thunderbolt 2 Dock cannot output two displays, therefore you need a Thunderbolt 3 device (up to three of them, each one will save a Thunderbolt 2 port).

There exists Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapters but they can only connect to a Thunderbolt 3 port. Therefore you need a Thunderbolt 3 device with two DisplayPort outputs or one DisplayPort output and a downstream Thunderbolt port (or you could try a Thunderbolt 4 hub which has three downstream Thunderbolt ports, two of which will support displays - a Thunderbolt 4 hub should work since you are using Big Sur).

Oh wait. I got that wrong. You need 8 DisplayPorts because you're doing two 2560x1440 per display. Well, my method will save you up to three Thunderbolt ports for extra stuff like an eGPU and external storage.

Most Mac supported GPUs can do four 5120x1440 outputs or at least four 2560x1440 outputs if you want to stick with the PBP layout. Some will do 6 just like the GPU in the Mac Pro 2013. I have a W5700 but that might be overkill.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote