Macbook Pro 13 Late 2018 - Which eGPU Box / GFX  

RSS

xite
 xite
(@xite)
August 15, 2018 7:32 am  

Hello everyone,

guess i will sell my MBP 15 inch 2017 & buy the new 13 inch, to be much more portable. (for my working part, 13 inch is more then enough - i'm always using an external display at home, so i can reduce the size from 15 to 13)

My thought was to buy an eGPU Box, to have some power at home for the gaming part.

I also read a lot of guides/builds here in the forum - but i still dont know which box i should prefer/buy - so i wanted to ask you guys for your opinion which set (box & gfx) is the best one and you would prefer.
I'm looking for a powerfull build wich also should be "quite" - Plug & Play possible & runs perfect on an MBP 13' 2018 (Bootcamp primary)

eGPU Boxes

I would choose one of those three boxes (if you have a better one, just post it here below) - also im not sure if i should choose NVIDIA (1080 ti) or AMD (Vega64) gfx, since i read that the NVIDIA-Cards are not working smooth with and MBP ?

or would you recommend me just to buy the blackmagic from apple ?!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
August 15, 2018 9:51 am  

For bootcamp Nvidia is easier (plug and play once drivers are installed).
Core is nicer than a Node.
Only get the Blackmagic if... 1. You have an LG 5K display 2. You require silent operation.

All this info is documented in various posts, grab a cuppa and get browsing...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

xite and danmeyerphoto liked
ReplyQuote
danmeyerphoto
(@danmeyerphoto)
Eminent Member
August 15, 2018 10:17 am  

^@eightarmedpet^   Is right grab a cup of your best and get browsing.   
If you want plug and play, then your in for a surprise.  It’s not that easy.  But it’s not that hard either if you read all the forms and instructions. 
Mac is not currently supporting eGpu but I hear noise of Mojave recognizing eGPus other then the black magic but only AMD Radeon cards is what I am hearing.  But if your concentrating on bootcamp you have reading to do and some configurations  to make.  
For boot camp I’m running an akitia node pro with a nvidia 1080 ti on my 2018 13” MBP. I also have it working in OSX but because I have a thunderbolt 3 display not (display port). I had to install the set-eGPU parameters. I was doubtful of its cababilities but it’s been performing well on OSX to my surprise.  

Good luck.  🍀

eGPU: Akitio Node Pro w/ EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
Coming (RTX 2080 Ti) 2018 MacBook Pro 13" i7 Quad-core, 16 GB Ram, 2 TB ssd

xite liked
ReplyQuote
xite
 xite
(@xite)
August 15, 2018 11:11 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Only get the Blackmagic if... 1. You have an LG 5K display 2. You require silent operation.

thank you eight - the silent operation is one big plus of the blackmagic, but on the other side you cant upgrade the gfx... guess i will make some research about the Core / Node Box, maybe i can find some details regarding the noise.

by the way dan, how is the combination with the node pro & the 1080ti ? is it running smooth under bootcamp ? and can you maybe tell me how the noise is ? and my last question ( sorry for it  😀 ) why did you choose the Node Pro ? (because of the 2x TB3 Ports & DisplayPort ?)

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member
August 15, 2018 1:05 pm  

The Akitio Node is what I have, but be aware because it's very noisy! If you a silent eGpu is required, then you should replace power unit (Corsair) and cooler fan.

late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + XFX-RX480@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS & Win10

xite liked
ReplyQuote
xite
 xite
(@xite)
August 15, 2018 2:02 pm  
Posted by: jefniro

The Akitio Node is what I have, but be aware because it's very noisy! If you a silent eGpu is required, then you should replace power unit (Corsair) and cooler fan.

im not required to - i just would like to have it silent  :mrgreen: 

ReplyQuote
danmeyerphoto
(@danmeyerphoto)
Eminent Member
August 15, 2018 6:51 pm  
Posted by: xite
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

thank you eight - the silent operation is one big plus of the blackmagic, but on the other side you cant upgrade the gfx... guess i will make some research about the Core / Node Box, maybe i can find some details regarding the noise.

by the way dan, how is the combination with the node pro & the 1080ti ? is it running smooth under bootcamp ? and can you maybe tell me how the noise is ? and my last question ( sorry for it  😀 ) why did you choose the Node Pro ? (because of the 2x TB3 Ports & DisplayPort ?)

The combination of the node pro works well of the 1080 ti.  I didnt have a reason to why I choose the node pro. I like the design and feature better than the other out there. I did upgrade the cooler fan because I wanted it silent.  If you go this route with the nodenpro it needs a 90mm x 25mm 12v 3pin fan.  My display is (lg ultafine 4k) I needed the extra TB3 ports. I was confined to TB3 because I already had the screen and I didn’t want t buy another one.  If I was starting from scratch.  I would purchase a display with display port inputs.  It’s much easier to configure I think.    
It runs well under bootcamp after the drivers are installed.  That’s the “fun” at least for me it was.   I found a little hack.  The forums talk about the EFI boot option to allow you eGPU to boot into windows via bootcamp.   I found if I hot plug the eGpu via  TB3 into port at the screen with the windows flag just after the 8-10 dots start to circle, but not before.  I don’t need the EFI Boot. I don’t know if that works for everyone but it works for me.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 15, 2018 7:02 pm  

@danmeyerphoto Have you tried the Moshi bi-direcitonal DisplayPort to USB-C cable? Using the second TB3/USB-C port on the Node Pro for DisplayPort passthrough does take some bandwidth away from the eGPU. Another benefit of a cable like the Moshi is direct eGPU acceleration to the external monitor.

I used CL!ng to check the bandwidth of eGPU when there's monitors connected to the Node Pro's DisplayPort and USB-C. From left to right is no monitor, one 4K monitor, and two 4K monitor.

The results are similar in Windows too. I used AIDA64 to test in the same arrangement.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

68 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
danmeyerphoto
(@danmeyerphoto)
Eminent Member
August 16, 2018 2:41 am  
Posted by: theitsage

@danmeyerphoto Have you tried the Moshi bi-direcitonal DisplayPort to USB-C cable? Using the second TB3/USB-C port on the Node Pro for DisplayPort passthrough does take some bandwidth away from the eGPU. Another benefit of a cable like the Moshi is direct eGPU acceleration to the external monitor.

I used CL!ng to check the bandwidth of eGPU when there's monitors connected to the Node Pro's DisplayPort and USB-C. From left to right is no monitor, one 4K monitor, and two 4K monitor.

The results are similar in Windows too. I used AIDA64 to test in the same arrangement.

@itsage    Yes, I checked out the cable but for $50 I wasn’t sure it was worth the risk. I read in the forum that it did not work with a display that has only thunderbolt 3/Usb- C inputs.  (No DisplayPort) inputs in my 22M4K LG ultra fine 4K display.  I believe our friend above has a similar set up as and was part of the discussion I viewed.  @eightarmedpet  Is that correct? The Moshi bidirectional Display port to TB3 will not work with a TB3 only display.   I believe it had something to do with the power sleep wake lacking in the display port signal.  

If you know something I don’t know. Or if you have this set up with a thunderbolt only display. And it works for you. Please please help me figure it out. Because I would rather configure a direct connect from the graphics card to the display. Am I missing something?  I guess I may not be completely clear on how you have your cables configured. Would you be  able to describe your cables where they connect from and to? 
 I’m still curious though. I am halfway leaning towards going to Apple buying the cable in trying it out just to see what happens. If it doesn’t work I’ll just return it.   

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
August 16, 2018 6:36 am  

@danmeyerphoto I have the 5K LG Ultrafine which uses a different protocol to the 4K from what I understand so my experience isn't transferable. The 5K stitches 2xDisplay port together and needs the full TB3 bandwidth to do so - which is also why they don't work when you use apple_set_os or rEFInd hence my AMD Bootcamp woes (one day! one day! shakes fist in the air...).

The 4K monitors use regular USB C as far as I know so you'll be in a different situation....

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
danmeyerphoto
(@danmeyerphoto)
Eminent Member
August 17, 2018 12:49 am  

@eightarmedpet  Ok thats enough for me to give it a try. I am going to head to the apple store and purchase it. If It don't work Ill just return it.   I let you know if it works.
fingers crossed.

ReplyQuote
danmeyerphoto
(@danmeyerphoto)
Eminent Member
August 19, 2018 7:40 am  

Yeah the Moshi bidirectional cable was a no go for me.  It did not work for me.  :(.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 19, 2018 1:13 pm  

@danmeyerphoto Sorry to hear the Moshi cable did not work out. Practically there's no working DisplayPort to USB-C cable on the market.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

68 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote