Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Macbook Pro 13 (mid 2012) i7 dual-core 2.9GHz - Using Razer Core ...

Macbook Pro 13 (mid 2012) i7 dual-core 2.9GHz - Using Razer Core X enclosure with GTX 1000 series or RTX 2000 series graphic card  

RSS

hirenhcm
(@hirenhcm)
Jun 10, 2019 4:53 pm  

Was wondering if I anyone has tried to use Razer Core X enclosures with older MacBook Pro (mid-2012).

I have seen user have success with other brands of enclosures like AKiTiO, AORUS, and Sonnet. Using a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptors with GTX 1080 GPU.

So should the same work with RTX GPUs using Razer Core X. If not, what is the technical limitation with older MacBooks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member
Jun 11, 2019 2:59 am  

There shouldn't be anything stopping you from using the Core X. A couple of things to know though:
 - TB1/2 doesn't support charging the host laptop so that eliminates one of the major features of the Core X over other enclosures
 - There's no drivers for nVidia cards newer than the GTX 700 line in Mojave and no drivers for the RTX line at all in macOS so with those cards you'd be limited to bootcamp
 - For games, anything more powerful than a GTX 1060 will likely bottleneck the CPU pretty hard
Other than that it should work pretty well. I have both an nvidia card and AMD cards I use that are pretty much plug and play in windows.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
hirenhcm
(@hirenhcm)
Jun 11, 2019 5:52 am  

Thanks @nu_ninja.

- I don't mind my laptop not getting change via thunderbolt1/2.

- as long at it work in Bootcamp I am fine. As I will be spending more time on windows playing games.

- I assumed bottleneck will be the only reason other haven’t tried latest RTX cards.

The point of getting a Core X is to future proof my investment when I have saved money to buy a gaming laptop. 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
Jun 11, 2019 7:52 am  

@hirenhcm
You have to consider that some older macs have trouble booting with nVidia card attached (POST Issue).
Bottlenecking is little complicated, for very high resolutions and not so high FPS the TB1/TB2 may not bottleneck at all, so a powerful card may be useful, too.
I got some very fine results with a GTX 1080 Ti on a 13-inch MBP 2015, but also this POST Issue.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote