Macbook Pro 2014 + Sonnet eGFX Puck RX560 = OK?

Notifications
Clear all

Macbook Pro 2014 + Sonnet eGFX Puck RX560 = OK?  

RSS

hustceor
(@hustceor)

Hello eGPU community,

Running an eGPU on a Mac is not something I have done before, so I thought I would check here before making any purchases. Hopefully I have done my homework sufficiently.

This is what we have:

System: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
Specs: Core i7-4770HQ, Intel Iris Pro 5200, 16GB DDR3, 256GB SSD
Monitors: 2x Viewsonic 27" VX2753mh-LED, HDMI (with HDMI to DP Adapter)

This is what we are looking to buy:

Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, $49.00, https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/
Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m), $39.00, https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/
Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck Radeon RX560, $299.95, https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMT22ZM/A/

Purpose and reasoning:

The reason I am doing this is hopefully get video processing in Adobe Premiere Pro CC to a reasonable speed. The system will not be used for gaming or to boot into Windows under BootCamp. This is admittedly not going to be an ideal fix, as it is for a non-profit hoping to solve a $3000+ problem with a $400 solution. My hope is that it will be 3-5x faster in some common tasks.

The goal is also to try to keep the setup and maintenance as simple as possible, minimizing any workarounds needed. There may be slightly cheaper/better options, but I would imagine that if it's on the Apple Online Store, it's likely the safest choice. Although a more powerful card could be bought, the benchmarks I googled seemed to indicate strong diminishing returns for more powerful GPUs in Adobe programs.

From what I understand, I should be able to follow the instructions (Beginner's Guide) for purge-wrangler to get the eGPU recognized. Although I have checked out a few guides, including Abrown's guide, and I'm not certain if external monitors will be an issue in our case, but that could be a bit of a pain.

Thoughts? Did I miss something? Any better ideas? Let me know!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @hustceor

I'm not certain if external monitors will be an issue in our case, but that could be a bit of a pain.

If your Mac does not have the NVIDIA GeForce GT750M discrete GPU, then you won’t have any problems (even still there are workarounds - though not pretty). Just see more builds for your specific Mac and proceed.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hustceor
(@hustceor)

Posted by: @mac_editor
Posted by: @hustceor

I'm not certain if external monitors will be an issue in our case, but that could be a bit of a pain.

If your Mac does not have the NVIDIA GeForce GT750M discrete GPU, then you won’t have any problems (even still there are workarounds - though not pretty). Just see more builds for your specific Mac and proceed.

The MacBook Pro we have only has the Iris Pro 5200, being the EMC 2876 model (2.2ghz, Integrated Graphics - not Dual). Unfortunately, there were no builds that precisely matched our Macbook Pro + AMD eGPU + OSX Catalina, but I did check out a number of similar builds, including yours.

If I can get this working, I will add it to the list of builds on this site, unless anyone else has any last-minute objections. Thank you for your insight!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote