MacBook Pro mid 2015 best set up for gaming ?

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro mid 2015 best set up for gaming ?  

RSS

Acme00232
(@acme00232)

Dear All, 

I have read many topics regarding the eGPU for Macbook pro but I am still confused on what to invest in having good results on fps games; I use my laptop for work and it is still fine, but I would like to make the most of it, and it seems possible to increase by 10x the performance for gaming, I have seen several products that I like, and I would like to invest on something that would give me the possibility to upgrade the software and the graphic card in the following years, I would like to buy a product that is not already old as I have seen in many builds for the same MacBook with graphic cards of 2016/2017, I struggle to find a compatible new or relatively new product to match with my 2015 MacBook.

This is what I have: 

MacBook Pro Mid 2015 (retina 15-Inch)

2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core

16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I hope to find someone with a bit of passion able to support me to find the best options builds for my machine.

Thank you Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Fastest performing eGPU for you would be using the M.2 SSD slot as @itsage shows at:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2015-15-macbook-pro-4th4cq-rx-580-32gbps-adt-link-rs43g-macos-10-15-1-win10-1903-itsage/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Acme00232
(@acme00232)

@nando4, thank you for your reply!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@acme00232, Definitely go with the ADT-Link R43SG for your 2015 15-in MacBook Pro. The eGPU will be treated like dGPU by macOS. You won't have to worry about patching the system following each updates. The connection is also faster than Thunderbolt 2. Since TB2 can't make use of Power Delivery to charge the laptop, there's no loss benefits really.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Acme00232
(@acme00232)

@itsage, thank you for your reply, as far as I understand from the guide the are two things of this build which do not convince me:

1-the speed of the cable is 32GB when with those graphic cards is recommended 40GB to make the most of it.

2- but not list in order to connect this switch I have to open the metal shell of the laptop and keep it open in order to use it.

please correct me if I’m wrong.

thank you again Smile

ReplyQuote