MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) (osX 10.14.6)- eGPU component advice

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) (osX 10.14.6)- eGPU component advice  

RSS

Rahu03
(@rahu03)

Hello all!

I have been browsing these forums for a day and i have some kind of idea how to build my eGPU.

Still i would ask what would be the best enclousure / card setup for my needs.

I mostly use my machine for Adobe works, Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and Dimensions.

My machine will be connected to Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27", 1440P WQHD (2560 x 1440) Monitor.

As i understood i need to go for Radeon cards, Is there a big difference in compatibility between RX 500 and RX 5000 series?
Would the Sonnet Technologies GPU 550 W be a good choice for enclosure, or is there something that is even more reliable.

Im not trying to bust my budget, but if more money grants more reliability, i would go for that. I reside in EU.

I will be grateful for any comments.

This topic was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Radeon VII or RX 5700 XT are your higher end macOS 10.15 supported eGPUs. Plenty of enclosure options to consider housing these as can be seen by builds at the following URL with Razer Core X being the most popular:

https://egpu.io/best-external-graphics-card-builds/?table_filter =""macOS 10.15" "(RX 5700 XT|Radeon VII)""

The enclosures are compared in the buyer guide.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

Rahu03 liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @rahu03

As i understood i need to go for Radeon cards, Is there a big difference in compatibility between RX 500 and RX 5000 series?

RX 500 series (Polaris) eGPUs are supported from macOS 10.13.4. RX 5000 series (Navi) eGPUs require macOS 10.15.1 or newer. Search builds for information.

I suggest the Mantiz Saturn Pro eGPU enclosure.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Rahu03 liked
ReplyQuote
Rahu03
(@rahu03)

Posted by: @mac_editor

RX 500 series (Polaris) eGPUs are supported from macOS 10.13.4. RX 5000 series (Navi) eGPUs require macOS 10.15.1 or newer.

Thanks. This comment really made the graphics card difference clear in one sentence.

Unfortunately Mantis Saturn Pro does not seem to be available in EU yet. So i think i will settle for Razer Core X.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rahu03
(@rahu03)

2 more questions.

1. Razer Core X supported card list seems to indicate that RX5000 cards might have some problems with Macs.
https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1727/

At the same time Apple suggests that the RX5000 series would work well with Core X case.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

My question is, what does that mean exaclty? That the eGPU does not work without additional software installation?

2. Do i need the HDMI dummy if i am going to use my laptop with external monitor?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

My question is, what does that mean exaclty? That the eGPU does not work without additional software installation?

It means nothing. Razer was probably just lazy in distinguishing the macOS versions - note Apple's document mentions the requirement for Navi. But it might give them an excuse in case you reach out to support for any issues.

Do i need the HDMI dummy if i am going to use my laptop with external monitor?

Apparently having multiple monitors improves performance on the 5700 XT (look up posts on the forum about this) - but technically you don't need it.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote