MacPro 2013 macOS Catalina + Win10 Bootcamp for CG and gaming

Notifications
Clear all

MacPro 2013 macOS Catalina + Win10 Bootcamp for CG and gaming  

of  3
  RSS

dogloop
(@dogloop)

Hello everyone and thanks for your amazing pioneering efforts.

I'm a trash can user and i've joyfully discovered egpu's forum some days ago.

I'm putting so much effort in doing my homework.

I've expanded my knowledge a lot since I started roaming around threads, guides and builds but still I feel like asking some questions to you, wise people.

Thing is, I'm a total newbie so please be patient if I sound confused or lost.

As a CG aritst and gamer I feel like the time has come to give the proper boost to what I thought it was just an outdated and hopless, very well refined trash can.

I use macOS environment for 2D graphics and Win10 for 3D and games.

My gear:

MacPro6,1 running 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

FP D500 x2

Memory 16Gb

BootROM 133.0.0.0.0

Thunderbolt Display Apple 27"

My expansion plans:

RazerCore X TB3 Enclosure + Radeon RX5700XT + Apple TB3>TB2 adapter + Thunderbolt cable

See that coming: will that work?

As stated on AMD's site, the card requires a Typical Board Power of 225W - https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

My MP has a max power consumption of 238W, as shown here - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201796

I don't know if it even fits or matters anything since I'm going to power it externally, maybe someone could make it clearer for me.

Anyway, the PSU recommended for the card is 600W and the RazerCoreX should cover it.

I mainly use Eon Vue on Windows 10.

As stated on Eon's website, a graphic card with 3D mark score of 10.000 or better is recommended. I checked https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-gpus to take knowledge and found out the 5700XT has a very good score and a decent price.

I'm currently running Win10 version 1909 and I'm aware I need to downgrade to 1809, as learnt on AJ Scarcella's https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mac-pro-6-1-rx-580-egpu-bootcamp-success-somehow/   illuminating thread. My question is, what 1809 version should I install? Will March 2019 be good or should I go for an earlier one to be safer?

I know I have to use automate-eGPU EFI + pre-compiled DSDT.aml and then disable some PCI-to-PCI Bridges. Will that mess up with my Thunderbolt Display? Should I always use the bottom left TB ports for eGPU and display?

Will Catalina be friendly to the new eGPU once I boot back into macOS and after I run Mac Editor's purge-wrangler.sh?

Should I always boot via automate-eGPU EFI ?

I know that's a lot of questions but the 2013 MP is a messy thing to deal with and I wasn't able to find all the answers by myself. Hope you don't bother.

I'll be more than happy to provide more informations if needed. Suggestions about gear and installation recommendations will be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for your support and for making all this possible!

MacPro6,1
6-Core Intel Xeon E5
FP D500s
Razer Core X - AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@dogloop

I'm just a little ahead of you in my learning but I can answer this.... 

First off, I have a similar 2013 nMP with 12 core CPU, 48gig ram, 1Tb SSD. I have just replaced my Razer X with a Razer X Chroma. Had a little issue with USB but I suspect it was the load on my hub from downstream MyBook Duo's that were further hub(ed) together. The only part the Razer X Chroma might have played was when the Mac saw the additional hub of the Razer. IDK and it isn't significant for your setup imho. 

Anyway.....

All the power the Radeon RX5700XT needs comes from the Razer X. But I'm not sure you'll be able to use your thunderbolt display with that videocard??  The whole idea is to have 4k quality graphics on your monitor. The Thunderbolt display doesn't quite get there. Besides, all it has is a thunderbolt1 DisplayPort connection and the graphics card you are looking at appears to have 3 DisplayPort connections and one HDMI connection. Might work with an adaptor?  Of course, you should see better gameplay than the iGPU D500's can provide.

I would think it would be better to get a 4k monitor and use the thunderbolt monitor on Thunderbolt bus1 or 2 and the eGPU on Bus 0 (either of the two bottom ports)

I have not used Automate-eGPU EFI at all until now. It wasn't needed for the Mac install. I'm trying to get the Win10 side working these last several days so I am no help there.

Boot into MacOS normally and Follow this - https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/

and particularly this - https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/wiki/Beginne r's-Guide

You should have no problem on the Mac side!

This post was modified 5 months ago

Mac 2013 nMP 12 core Xeon, 48Gig RAM, 1Tb SSD, AMD FirePro D500 (2) internal GPU
eGPU --> Razer Core X Chroma, AMD Radeon VII, attached through T-bolt3 to T-bolt 2 adaptor attached to T-bolt bus0Port6

ReplyQuote
dogloop
(@dogloop)

@vmanjeff

Thanks for your help!

I’m aware the 5700xt it’s a 7k pixels and more native card and my old Apple Display is a 1440p. My monitor and visual experience, in terms of resolution, won’t benefit much from the new eGPU. I mostly need the new gpu for boosting render and workflow speed in Vue on Windows 10, the 2D apps I work with on macOS have no particular issue with the older dGPUs but, of course, if I can add more power to them as well I’ll be more than happy.

I was worried about the TB ports because on win10 you have to disable some PCI to PCI Bridges in order to free up memory for the eGPU to work. Don’t know if the TB Display Monitor could cause any issue. 
Just in case, I have another hdmi monitor to try with if I screw up something.

Any other question were Bootcamp related.

Thanks a lot for your infos about the enclosure and macOS, I appreciate!

At least, I think I can order the whole new stuff and start experimenting.

I’d just need to know what win10 1809 update should I fresh install. Anyone?

MacPro6,1
6-Core Intel Xeon E5
FP D500s

ReplyQuote
VmanJeff
(@vmanjeff)

@dogloop

I did the disable pci-to-pci bridges as per this thread. Read it to the end

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mac-pro-6-1-rx-580-egpu-bootcamp-success-somehow/

but that’s as far as I could go. I was on Win10 build 1903.  I ended up with a blank screen and a never ending loop in recovery mode.  Searching for a fix now.

good luck

This post was modified 5 months ago

Mac 2013 nMP 12 core Xeon, 48Gig RAM, 1Tb SSD, AMD FirePro D500 (2) internal GPU
eGPU --> Razer Core X Chroma, AMD Radeon VII, attached through T-bolt3 to T-bolt 2 adaptor attached to T-bolt bus0Port6

ReplyQuote
dogloop
(@dogloop)

@vmanjeff

A link to the same thread is in my first post. 
That’s exactly where I learnt that win10 1903 on nMP bootcamp doesn’t work with eGPU.

MacPro6,1
6-Core Intel Xeon E5
FP D500s

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dogloop Welcome aboard and good to see more 6,1 owners trying eGPU! My first recommendation is to start step-by-step. This particular Mac is tricker than most to set up in Windows Boot Camp. It's best to use the HDMI connection from the nMP to a single monitor during the setup process so that the Thunderbolt ports are all free up. There are three main hurdles that you'd need to overcome.

The first is Thunderbolt device detection in Boot Camp. The latest firmware on the nMP is not blocking Thunderbolt eGPU in Windows so you should be good as long as you have macOS 10.4.4 or newer installed. The second hurdle is error 12 due to lack of resources. In my experience, automate-eGPU EFI with the modified DSDT.aml is a necessity to allocate Large Memory for the Radeon eGPU. Without which the eGPU would encounter error 12.

The last is driver conflicts between Radeon dPGU and eGPU. The modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com help with this. You would likely encountered error 43 too so it may need some PCI Express root ports disabled. The Win10 version with most reported successes is 1809 Redstone 5. You can download the ISO from this website.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dogloop
(@dogloop)

@itsage

Thanks a lot friend,

I’ll keep your suggestions at hand. I’ll let you know about my progress as soon as I start working on my build.

MacPro6,1
6-Core Intel Xeon E5
FP D500s

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Is this old post relevant at all to these errors?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/942959/error-message-when-you-attach-a-pci-express-expansion-chassis-to-a-com

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: @joevt

Is this old post relevant at all to these errors?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/942959/error-message-when-you-attach-a-pci-express-expansion-chassis-to-a-com

Nope, it did not help in my case with the Mid 2015 15" MBP. PCIe expansion is different than Thunderbolt.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dogloop
(@dogloop)

@itsage

Finally,

here I am with my new eGPU gear and new troubles Smile

Catalina successfully detected the eGPU thanks to automate-eGPU EFI and the temporary fix from goalque.

Bootcamp is still reluctant.

I'm on win 1809 Redstone5. In device manager I have the Thunderbolt entry and PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 21, device 3, function 0) flagged yellow by Win with error 12. I don't have any large memory entry.

So, here's what I did:

• Installed automate-eGPU EFI via bash as per mac_editor instructions (choose Nvidia patch even if my eGPU is AMD)
  • Downloaded nando4 nMP precompiled DSDT folder, dropped everything in the EFI drive \EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\WINDOWS. I don't know if I should use Winmerge to modify something, if so, please point me to some detailed instructions.
  • Ran the load batch file in DSDT folder. BSOD after reboot, windows starts again in Test mode only.
  • I rebooted in safe mode, ran the unload batch file as instructed and reverted things to normal state.

Just to make it a bit clearer for me, does the dsdt.aml start working again after rebooing via EFI?

Seems I have to fix something about the dsdt.aml but I'm quite confused about the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!

MacPro6,1
6-Core Intel Xeon E5
FP D500s

ReplyQuote
 of  3