Mantiz Saturn Pro + RX5700XT for MacBook Pro 15" ?

Notifications
Clear all

Mantiz Saturn Pro + RX5700XT for MacBook Pro 15" ?  

RSS

Gerax
(@gerax)

Hi all,

have been following the unboxing thread and posted there but got no reply (probably the wrong thread to ask).

I'm a recording engineer and I need to expand my home studio with multiple monitors (up to 4), and since I'm running a 15 inch 2018 MBP, the only way to have 4 monitors and also have thunderbolt ports available for the audio interface is to use an eGPU. Besides, I also do video editing and photo retouching, so I need something stronger on the video side, capable to handle 4K editing and 36 MPixel RAW files from my camera (currently looking at the RX5700XT.

I was initially headed towards the Razer Core X Chroma, but then I saw the Mantiz Saturn Pro which looks like a more complete set of features and for a more affordable price overall.

Do you think it could fit my setup? I'm not a gamer and don't need that kind of performance, but video editing is important to me; the audio side is just going to need multiple monitors (3 for Pro Tools, the 4th one for video playback when I do AV post).

Also, will this be available on Amazon in Europe any soon?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@gerax, I've been using the Mantiz Saturn Pro with RX 5700 XT on my 2013 Mac Pro. The SD card slot is an wonderful addition on this enclosure because I no longer need another adapter to import photos. This setup can handle RAW photos from Fujifilm X-T4 very well.

I have also tried a Thunderbolt 3 interface (UA Arrow) with my MacBook Pro. It's drawing power from the Thunderbolt 3 connection and doesn't work very reliable when there's another bus-powered TB3 device sharing the same TB3 bus. If your audio interfaces are self-powered, I think you won't have any issues loading up all four TB3 ports.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Gerax
(@gerax)

@itsage

thanx a lot for the reply, great infos!

Yes, my audio interface is an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt 2, self powered and I would hook it up to the other thunderbolt bus of my MBP, there should be no issues there.

If the box is reliable with MacOS (I'm on High Sierra right now, not too keen on Catalina, will probably wait for Big Sur) that's the one I'd like to go with.

It has all the bells and whistles and it would be the perfect hub for my studio.

I'm also planning to hook up a 5 bay USB3 box for my drives (for backups and archives) and an SSD to the eSata inside the Mantiz for my sample libraries.

Now, any idea when it will be available in Europe? I know it's possible to purchase it direct from the factory, but it gets more expensive plus there's shipping and customs which would still make it a better deal compared to the Razer, but I'm not in a hurry and would like to have some more warranty...

Thanx

L.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote