MBP 15 inch 2015 using tb2 can i still have a nice setup and be future proof??

Notifications
Clear all

MBP 15 inch 2015 using tb2 can i still have a nice setup and be future proof??  

RSS

Robson Nascimento
(@robson_nascimento)

Hi guys, im new to the egpu world and would like some advice on my research.

I have a 2015 macbook pro 15 inch with integrated graphics 16gb RAM..... the game a play the most is cs go but started getting into other games and wanted to have a nice clean set at home and have my mac to go for work (web based )

my plan is to get either a --1080p 25inch 144hz monitor or a 1440 27inch 75hz or more 

-razer core x 

-rx 580 8gb 

- and i know i need specific cables to have this work even though they are expensive 🙁

in the future with this set up i thought about getting a 13 inch MBP for better portability but have this at home and by then using TB3 would work much better?

can anyone tell me if they have a similar setup and how much performance gain along with troubles along the way.

Love the site and its awesome to know i can get help !!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@robson_nascimento, Read builds. "Much better" is subjective but the setup you chose would be future proof in that it would work on a newer Mac.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Robson Nascimento
(@robson_nascimento)

@mac_editor, hey, so my razer core x just came in and i was unsure about gpu would be best.  i was set on the rx580 8gb but then started looking at the rx5500 xt which is a bit tight for my budget.

is there much difference between these two card?  Also if i get the rx580 does the brand make any difference?  saw some people having a hard time with XFX gpus .... just looking for the easiest non hassle set up.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@robson_nascimento, Go for RX 580. Better drivers on macOS. Any brand would work, but generally avoid XFX - as in rare cases it has caused issues.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Robson Nascimento
(@robson_nascimento)

@mac_editor

ya i see everywhere that XFX have issues, ya going for the rx580.

one question came up that i can't find the answer to as its a broad conclusion.

do you think there would be less trouble and/or better performance using a different OS than Catalina?

for example wasn't mojave tb2 egpu already enabled by dafught ? resulting in not having to do purge ranggler  ?

just a thought as i noticed online that speed for read/write differ on each OS.

I installed windows and its runs nice with the 144Hz monitor but when playing cs-go it cashes (playing on the iGPU as i don't have my rx580 yet) i think its overheating and it just freezes the screen, i can still hear the game but no movement on image.

haven't looked into running the eGPU on windows bootcamp but i believe once the MacOs side is good the windows should just detected it right ?

BTW thanks for all help and info!!

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @robson_nascimento

do you think there would be less trouble and/or better performance using a different OS than Catalina?

Not necessarily. 

for example wasn't mojave tb2 egpu already enabled by dafught ? resulting in not having to do purge ranggler  ?

No. Not sure where you read that. 

haven't looked into running the eGPU on windows bootcamp but i believe once the MacOs side is good the windows should just detected it right ?

Look first? All these questions have answers on the forums. Search for them. Check builds

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote