Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Need an eGPU for new Yoga 920 i7-8550U

Need an eGPU for new Yoga 920 i7-8550U  

RSS

drirene
(@drirene)

Hi Everybody,

Just ordered the Yoga 920 with i7-855OU chip and want to attach it to an eGPU. Looking for a reasonably priced unit but have no idea on which are compatible. 

Would the Auorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box work? Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

EDIT: Please tell me if I get this:

1. The Auorus gaming box would work and it is one of the few that includes the GPU. The downside is that you can’t swap GPUs.

2. The Auorus should be plug and play with the Yoga.

3. A GTX1070 (or maybe a 1080?) Would not overwhelm the Yoga.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

I have a Yoga 920 and am going with the HP Omen Accelerator and a 1060 3gb, but waiting for them to arrive.

14" Lenovo Yoga 920+ [a video card]@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10+ThrottleStop+Nekteck TB3 Cable 100W 6ft

4chip4 and drirene liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

We do not have an Aorus Gaming Box + Yoga 920 implementation for 100% proof of compatibility. Instead there are three Yoga 920 eGPU implementations using enclosures with updated firmware for compatibility on systems that that report are not support eGPUs in Intel Thunderbolt software.

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter=%22Yoga%20920%20%22

Have you read those implementations to determine pnp/overwhelm status?

At the Buyer's Guide, there are over 11 of the latest TB3 enclosures with updated firmware to choose from. The Aorus Gaming Box is one of them.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

drirene liked
ReplyQuote
drirene
(@drirene)

DG, when you get them set up, please post. I am very interested in how they work for you!

Cheers

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

8250/8550 is best you can get right now for an ultraportable and will not be overwhelmed by a 1070 or 1080...  Hope you didn't go with the 4k version of the yoga 920 as it appears battery life really sucks.  16GB ram really isn't necessary for most people.  I bought this one for $1150 on sale plus tax:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-920-2-in-1-13-9-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-bronze/6061500.p?skuId=6061500

I personally wouldn't go with more than a 1070 cause price/performance really sucks after that unless you just got money to spend and a really nice monitor to fully take advantage of all that graphics power...  1060 3gb is what I go with.  Otherwise RX 570/580.  What monitor do you have or plan to get?  GSYNC/NVIDIA or FREESYNC/AMD?  So I just get one of the upper mainstream graphics cards and wait until the next generation comes out.

What is nice about the HP Omen Accelerator unlike others is you can easily replace the 120mm fan and ATX power supply as well as offering optional extra ports use instead of buying a dock.  Bad thing is it is huge, but the laptop is what I need portable not the egpu... and ports use takes a little performance hit.  I happen to have a Seasonic Focus Plus 650W and some nice fans to add in.

You can swap GPU in the aorus box, but you are very limited on options due to size constraints.  Expect it to be a little noisy but you can upgrade those fans to noctua...  The biggest benefit to this box is how small it is and cheapest solution for a new box and 1070.  This is the only way I would go for a 1070 because your all in cost is cheaper.

14" Lenovo Yoga 920+ [a video card]@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10+ThrottleStop+Nekteck TB3 Cable 100W 6ft

drirene and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
drirene
(@drirene)

I ordered the 920 wuth 1TB SSD, 16 RAM and 4K screen. I use all of it and am almost always plugged in.

I'm a casual gamer, so I'll skip the monitor for now. 

Are you sure the Aorus box will work with the 920? I can't find any Lenovo or Aorus rep who will verify that they work together seamlessly. I like the Omen but it is bigger than I can fit. If the Aorus 1070 gets me through the next 2 years, I will be happy. 

Thx again!

ReplyQuote
alex804
(@alex804)

Do you get the Aorus 1070 at the end? I am awaiting my yoga 920 delivery and I am thinking to get the aorus 1070 too.

ReplyQuote
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

I got a HP Omen Acccelerator and used 1070 gaming box from amazon warehouse, but having issues with the gigabyte aorus box.   It worked but not great and that may be because it was returned for a reason.  I will test further this weekend and see.

ReplyQuote
greathew
(@greathew)

Following. Just got my 920 and waiting to see what you pioneers figure out as far as compatibility. Good job.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: greathew

Following. Just got my 920 and waiting to see what you pioneers figure out as far as compatibility. Good job.

There are already 6 example eGPU implementations with your Lenovo Yoga 920 at:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member

I've got the 920 & Auros 1080, and I like it.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/yoga-920-auros-1080-gaming-box/

ReplyQuote