Need help confirming 8th gen HP Spectre x360 15' Thunderbolt 3 pcie lanes

Notifications
Clear all

Need help confirming 8th gen HP Spectre x360 15' Thunderbolt 3 pcie lanes  

RSS

Qyu
 Qyu
(@qyu)

In the market for a new laptop and decided on HP Spectre x360 15' with the new 8th gen cpu. I need help with a couple of question be my purchase.

1. Does the 15' model have 4 lanes of pcie?

2. Is the Aorus gtx 1070 or razer core supported?

3. If neither egpu doesnt work is there a one you would recommended?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Pls follow the guidance given at:

https://egpu.io/forums/which-gear-should-i-buy/to-future-egpu-users-do-your-homework-first/

Answers to all three of your questions are there.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Qyu
 Qyu
(@qyu)

thank you for the link. Cant believe the smaller HP spectre gets 4 lanes and the bigger one doesn't.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rakesh Malik
(@rakesh_malik)

It does have 4 lanes, but it shares them between the built in and external GPUs. It's still quite fast; I'm using one to color grade a feature film shot in 8K Recode right now.

ReplyQuote
McFinickle
(@mcfinickle)

Do you have the 13 in x360 or 15 in x360?

Would ideally like the 13 for portability use with eGPU but the 15 inch looks great just concerned about 2 lanes compared with 13's 4 lanes when I use it with eGPU.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

The 15" has about 30% less raw bandwidth on the TB3 port which in real life translates to about a 10-15% hit in FPS terms. YMMV.

On the flip side, all your GPU-heavy stuff will still work on the go as well, even if a bit slower (as opposed to the 13" version where it's more of an all-or-nothing, stuff runs full-steam when connected to the eGPU, but not at all when not connected). That MX150 is still far (far) more powerful than the 8550Us iGPU.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
klausmeine
(@klausmeine)
Eminent Member

Hey Guys, I just received my Thunder 3, put in the Graphics Card, plugged it into my HP spectre x360 and....nothing. Am I missing something? I thought it`s plug and play?
Another thing I just reckognized is that the Fan isn`t spinning. Maybe the Akitio is broken?
I`m really clueless right now.

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen I7 8650U 16GB RAM Akitio Thunder 3 GTX1050Ti

ReplyQuote