egpustroffi
(@egpustroffi)

Hi, what Host System do you recommend when:

- I want to use the internal Display
- Need 120/144Hz
- 13-15 inch
- No dGPU needed
- Budget 1500€

found this article kinda interesting, but dont know if its still the same with the new model 15R4.
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2017-alienware-15r3-rtx-208032gbps-aga-razer-core-win10-1803-itsage/

Thanks

This topic was modified 3 years ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@egpustroffi The Alienware 15 R4 should have the same Thunderbolt 3 connection to the CPU like R3. I'm not sure if there's a configuration with a 120 Hz display and GTX 1060. That would be your best choice. You can always go the Alienware Graphics Amplifier route too.

Another good option is the Razer Blade 15. The price may be higher than AW15R4 though for the 144Hz + GTX 1060. Here's my recent build with the Razer Blade 15 + RTX 2080.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
egpustroffi
(@egpustroffi)

Nice thanks, what would you prefer if i go with 60Hz? the razer blade (13)?

This post was modified 3 years ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
Eminent Member

What you want to play ? Where you want to play ? 
I made a build for FPS games, and I did buy the 144 Hz external display anyway. You get more performance and the screen is much bigger.
15" is still no competition for 27 " external screen. 

I went for 13 MacBook Pro as I love OS X for everyday use, and use Windows BootCamp for games.
You might try Razer, Alienware or Dell, but if you plan gaming you will eventually get external screen, mouse, keyboard and headphones anyway so it will be much cheaper to get smaller notebook only with nice CPU and RAM plus all the external peripherals. Just make sure it has fast TH3 connection directly to the motherboard like MacBooks and Razer has.

13" MacBook Pro + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Duke (Razer Core X)

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
egpustroffi
(@egpustroffi)

Some Games like Dying Light, Dirt Rally less then 10hours /week.  I want the minimum equipment, so no external Display for now. i need to take the notebook every day with me and the core up to 4 times a month.

ok, thanks. im tending to razer but what about the fan noise, some reviews say its very loud? i like the alienware 15R4 aswell… hm

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
Eminent Member

Razer is much smaller, Alienware is a beast but it is huuuuge. If you decide to go for the 13 " it would be very good companion for travel. I had a few 15" macbook Pros but I ended up with the newest 13" just because I am tired of everyday moving a brick between home and office. And MacBook 15" is still very small and thin compared to Alienware. Also think about Dell - Inspiron 15 or Dell G5 15.

When using an eGPU - notebook cooling and fans won't be a big problem, and in older games and those that don't use CPU that much it probably won't use fans as much. Please keep in mind that the noise might be problem with eGPU depending what graphics card you will get and what casing. 

On the other hand for gaming that you have described, you might not even need an eGPU with things such as Razer 15" or Alienware 15R4 that already have a decent 1070. Maybe even consider waiting few more months and beggining of next year there will be new notebooks with RTX 2000 series graphics.

13" MacBook Pro + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Duke (Razer Core X)

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
egpustroffi
(@egpustroffi)

Hi, i borrowed a msi Workstation , what do you think About the Connection?

https://imgur.com/a/ieOq2Pa

why is so Cuda MiB/s so low? is the gpu-z   x4 3.0 correct?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@egpustroffi DSL6340 controller and PCI Root Port both looked good. What Thunderbolt 3 cable are you using?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
egpustroffi
(@egpustroffi)

Standard 0.5m cable from razer core x

ReplyQuote
egpustroffi
(@egpustroffi)

Score Time Spy 4350

https://imgur.com/a/sXJnh3l

kinda disappointing score, i noticed fps drops while the benchmark from 40-10fps like every 3 seconds.

is it possible that a Driver could be the Problem?

ReplyQuote
 of  2