New MacBook Pros (2018) Released with 8-Gen Intel Chips + 3rd Gen. Butterfly Key...

Notifications
Clear all

New MacBook Pros (2018) Released with 8-Gen Intel Chips + 3rd Gen. Butterfly Keyboard  

of  8
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@rimsonatoaster From what I'm seeing, the i7-8559U vs the i7-8550U has much higher base clock (2.7 vs. 1.8) and boost clocks (4.5 vs. 4) as well as eDRAM (128M vs. none), and most important of all - 16 vs. 12 PCIe lane support - perhaps in the "more pro" scheme of things its a good choice.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ikir and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
RimsOnAToaster
(@rimsonatoaster)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor dooooooooooope! I didn't even think beyond the clock speeds. Unless something goes drastically wrong, I think these new MacBooks might take the top spot on the Recommendation List! I can't believe they're shipping these so soon. I thought the wait would be months longer.

Dell 9570 (i5-8350H, no dGPU), Ubuntu 19.10 + Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (nvidia driver 435)

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9570 (GTX1050Ti) [8th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@rimsonatoaster If only they were a couple hundred bucks lower, or had 15” non TouchBar versions - it would have been a seriously sweet lineup - still happy with the updates nonetheless.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Yeah when will Apple aknowledge  the touch bar mistake? It's been 2 years already 🙁 It should at least make it optional.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
JLSMedia
(@jlsmedia)

Posted by: mac_editor

@eightarmedpet There's still the Apple tax

Wait 3 or so months and they'll have fresh MacBook Pros in the refurb store for a few hundred bucks off. I've always got my laptops that way and the Apple tax feels pretty insignificant. Last one I got a maxed out CPU/GPU 2016 model for $2000, not bad at the time even compared to Windows machines.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Posted by: Rycco

Yeah when will Apple aknowledge  the touch bar mistake? It's been 2 years already 🙁 It should at least make it optional.

Why? I love it and use it a lot. It is super handy, it is just having dynamic  keys. Even super cool with Deux Ex Mankind Divided. The only error in design is the esc button, it should be physical.

@thread
love these updates, True Tone, t2, quad core 13”! I will upgrade next week!

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

they've actually have not so focus  release of a new eGPU if you look closely at their release..  its called " Blackmagic eGPU" with GPU of Radeon Pro 580 graphics processor with 8GB of GDDR5 memory

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ikir

Why? I love it and use it a lot. It is super handy, it is just having dynamic  keys. Even super cool with Deux Ex Mankind Divided. The only error in design is the esc button, it should be physical.

@thread

😛 I currently own 13" late 2016 model... new core 4 is really good for us like to use smaller MBP but I think they could have at least bump the base model RAM.. still stand at 8gb..

given they've stated they're offering 32gb for 15", I might consider later this year shooting myself for 15" instead of 13" small form factor. I realized with my eGPU I really need better 6 core processor, Memory + more storage (1tb) if I want future proof good and suited for my purpose gaming + mobile/web developmnt.. should be good for  at least for 3-4 years

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Posted by: ikir

@thread

It's not that I hate it (ok I hate the esc key not being a key), but a touchbar doesn't make sense for people who use the macbook with external monitors 75% of the time since it adds up to the cost (and its already no cheap). Just give us the option Apple Grin

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: RimsOnAToaster

Do you have any insight into why Apple might have used the Core i5-8259U and Core i7-8559U for the 13" instead of the more-common Core i5-8250U and Core i7-8550U?

Comparison at Intel: i5-8259U vs i5-8250U

The 8259U is what goes into Pro products: 28W TDP,  2.3Ghz base clock (turbo up to 3.8Ghz), 16 PCIe lanes.
The 8250U is what used to go into Air products: 15W TDP, 1.6Ghz base clock (turbo up to 3.4Ghz), 12 PCIe lanes.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  8