Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
New MacBook Pros (2018) Released with 8-Gen Intel Chips + 3rd Gen. Butterfly Key...

New MacBook Pros (2018) Released with 8-Gen Intel Chips + 3rd Gen. Butterfly Keyboard  

of  3
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

I was expecting this, but apparently it's worse than I thought. Hopefully, this is an isolated case:

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

itsage and Antoine liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor It gets worse. Starting with the iMac Pro, all new Macs come with an Apple T2 [APL1027] chip. I had an ugly encounter with this gatekeeper last night. As soon as I unboxed the 2018 13" MacBook Pro, I connected a GTX 1080 Ti eGPU and ran @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI. First issue was with Secure Boot. By default it's set to Full Security and disallows external media booting. The Apple T2 chip prevented automate-eGPU EFI from running and booted the system into Recovery mode. It warned me to make changes in Startup Security Utility in order to boot off external media.

image1
image2

The fun did not stop there. I changed the settings to allow "booting from external media" but left Secure Boot alone. That turned out to be a bad idea when you're booting up software that aren't trusted by Apple. @goalque is brilliant but Apple doesn't trust his automate-eGPU EFI. The Apple T2 chip force-booted me into Recovery again. This time showed macOS on my disk needs to be reinstalled.

image3
image4

Problem is there's some bug with the current build of 10.13.6 on these 2018 MacBook Pros. The system got stuck in a loop of reinstalling macOS and Internet Recovery. I now have serious paranoia about buying/using newer Macs with these lockdown measures in place.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage Thank you for sharing your experience. So at this time, are you unable to boot into macOS at all? About the loop of reinstalling macOS and Internet Recovery - Do you mean that macOS installs fine, but then always boots into recovery after install? In the procedure where the Mac tells you that you need to reinstall macOS - does this mean you cannot option-select the main boot drive at all? Sounds like the disk is not blessed anymore if that is the case. If so, perhaps a solution could be to rebless it. The bless command line tool may work (it has been updated to handle APFS bootable volumes). This is just a guess (need more info). Wish I had a T2 Mac to mess with.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Installer seems to get stuck half way. If I used option-boot, I would see macOS Installer as the only available internal booting source. Booting that resulted in Internet Recovery. I fully cleared the partition on the internal drive a couple times in hope that would do but no changes.

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

I've been reluctant to attempt using any of the EFI implementations because of concerns about T2/Security blocking them.  Does anyone know what the procedure was for people with iMac Pros to use the EFI-based egpu workarounds, since they have a similar security implementation?

Is it possible to turn security to off and set allow external bootable media on, then try continuing the reinstall?  Also, you might have to run the startup disk utility to specify the internal drive again.  When I installed a fresh copy of High Sierra to an external usb ssd, it defaulted to that install til I removed it.

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809/MacOS 10.14.5 Beta
ASUS X99 Deluxe+Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage I don’t know if this has happened before, but hopefully internet recovery is downloading the special build 10.13.6 and not the standard one every mac has. You could try creating a Mojave Beta 4 installer drive on another Mac and attempt installing using that, since that build should support the latest macs. Though it would be for nought if you can’t option select it during boot.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mac_editor I tried Mojave Beta USB Installer too. I could boot off it but there's a bug that prevented the installation. The Internet Recovery on this 2018 MacBook Pro seems incomplete. In the local Recovery mode, I could see the main macOS Utilities Top Menu where I could select different utilities such as Terminal. There's no macOS Utilities Top Menu in Internet Recovery. It only showed the main window with four options: Restore Time Machine backup, Reinstall macOS, Get Help Online, and Disk Utility.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage So your Mac is essentially in limbo for a bit. Off-radar macOS builds are certainly annoying, but having a non-functional recovery system is unacceptable on a new machine. Could you elaborate on the bug you encountered with Mojave? Was it before, during, or after install?

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

There are 3 different recovery options:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Internet recovery tries to download & install the latest available macOS build for your Mac, not the beta.

Developer beta access utility warns that you may be unable to revert back to prior versions of macOS.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

I wiped and reinstalled my onboard ssd Monday(without repartitioning), but from command-r so the internal recovery partition I believe.  I also installed a clean copy to an external usb ssd to try to troubleshoot my graphics stuttering.  At one point during the external install (about half-way) it restarted and booted from it, which I don't remember seeing happen before with previous MacOS setups.

ReplyQuote
(@eltocino)

So today was a bit of a sad day for Apple I guess.
Apart from the problems that you guys have with EFI and the T2-chip.

They just announced the marginal real life performance gain of the new CPU's.

This one is english for the 13", and the other is only available in german. You find it here.
Basically the 13" lacks behind in expected power and every other CPU config other than base in the 15" is money well wasted.

I really want to switch to macOS. But if those reports continue I'll seriously invest my money into a XPS 15 (which also throttles but not nearly as bad)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

On my i7 model, I'm getting about 644 on initial Cinebench runs in multicore, and over 600 on the next 10 runs.  My 15" 2016 with i7-6700HQ consistently gets 660-670 or so, so its very close to the 2016 base model CPU.  Single threaded is much higher at 170 for the i7-8559u and 140 for the i7-6700HQ.  Its a little disappointing considering the i7-8550u scores, but its fairly obvious most of those are running in 25W TDP up mode.

On a side note, going to try installing Mojave on to an external drive to see if my iGPU issues persist.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Could someone provide a link/benchmark the 15" 2018 model(s) on Cinebench across multiple runs? I want to see the overall performance degradation. For reference:

Mid-2014 15" MBP (i7-4870HQ) scores 607 on the first run, which can slip down to 560 in a warm environment. 750M scores about 60.8fps on OpenCL. Others may get higher/lower scores of course. For the i7-4870HQ, the first-run score is still sub-par, but acceptable in an Apple chassis I guess. Basically I want to compare the new 15" models with what I have and if the expense is worth it for me or not.

Per CNet, the 2018 MBP i9 hits 947. I want to see its sustained scores.

Also sounds like the 13" TB MBPs are quite fast.

Rough estimates: Per Dave2D's video, the MBP i9 throttled to ~2.2G. That's 75% base clock performance. Let's assume CNet accomplished 947 at base clocks. Then 0.75*947 =~ 710. Nothing special. However, in the above video, I noted that the i9 did throttle below base clocks and still achieved 924. So safe to say the same likely occurred with CNet's tests. Thus my calculation is immediately invalid, but interesting (I'd get scores north of 710 in warm environment + heavy sustained loads for certain on the i9).

NotebookCheck average performance for the i9-8950HK - ~1367. Now that's the big blow. Let's give Apple some headroom and say score at ideal temps is 1250. Even then, overall throttled performance is ~74%. The 15" are throttled Macs, assuming NotebookCheck scores are accurate representations (still I did give a bunch of headroom). Insanity.

Considering i7-4870HQ's average Cinebench performance per NotebookCheck (629), my current notebook provided ~89% throttled performance under strain. Not great by any means, but still comparatively acceptable throttling. Numbers for the i7-4870HQ could be lower than 629 anyway inside the 2014 MBP chassis (same headroom generosity).

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

Well that puts my 2018 13” MacBook Pro on hold for gaming @itsage. Guess I need to shove my 1070 back into my old PC rig for now. Maybe this will change when the next Mojave beta is released. 

Also, found this: 
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208330

2018 13” MacBook Pro TB + RX 580 + Sonnet Breakaway 550

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@whiskey_1130 The best approach is to run a full Time Machine backup as soon as you set up the 2018 MacBook Pro. Then boot into Recovery mode to turn Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media. This will make it behave like older Macs.

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

So far I'm gathering that 2018 13" MBP i5 is better value than other 2018 macbook pro models for pairing with eGPU because of thermal throttling on higher frequency CPU and  for having iGPU rather than dGPU. But we should wait until Mojave comes out to determine if throttling is fixed and  make sure some of the eGPU progress (from this site particularly) from previous configurations carries forward. Right?

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

@whiskey_1130 The best approach is to run a full Time Machine backup as soon as you set up the 2018 MacBook Pro. Then boot into Recovery mode to turn Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media. This will make it behave like older Macs.

Yep. That worked. Still tinkering with automate eGPU.

Update: ya I can’t get the automate eGPU program to work, as Pure EFI or Hybrid iGPU. 

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Ok, installed Mojave public beta on an external ssd, and still the same stuttering.  Starting to think there might be something wrong with my MBPro and I should get it swapped out.  Anyone else here with an operational 2018 MacBook Pro 13 who can run Unigine Valley in Basic mode, wait a min or so and see if it non stop stutters every second or two?

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member

Posted by: esatamacmodular

So far I'm gathering that 2018 13" MBP i5 is better value than other 2018 macbook pro models for pairing with eGPU because of thermal throttling on higher frequency CPU and  for having iGPU rather than dGPU. But we should wait until Mojave comes out to determine if throttling is fixed and  make sure some of the eGPU progress (from this site particularly) from previous configurations carries forward. Right?

@esatamacmodular I was going to order 2018 13" MBP i7 with 16gb Ram and 512gb SSD (future-proof setup for Design/Video work). Ideally I'd like to pair this with my Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box for Bootcamp.

Are you implying that it would be better to save my money and get the i5 instead?

Edit: LaptopMag and PCMag had some pretty good things to say about the configuration I was looking at. Benchmarks on the 13" i7 look pretty sweet. What do you guys think?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: whiskey_1130

Update: ya I can’t get the automate eGPU program to work, as Pure EFI or Hybrid iGPU. 

There are no web drivers for Mojave yet.

--

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

Posted by: goalque
Posted by: whiskey_1130

There are no web drivers for Mojave yet.

Sorry, forgot to clarify I'm still on High Sierra. That being said, I am in the process of downloading Mojave.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@Mac_editor's Purge-Wrangler remains working on the 2018 MacBook Pro, 10.13.6 [17G2112]. I paired the 13" MBP with XG Station Pro and GTX 1080 Ti just now. I'm waiting for Apple to release Boot Camp drivers to test Windows next.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I found more info about the security utility:

https://twocanoes.com/secureboot-imac-pro/

1. Requests is sent to an Apple OCSP and CRL servers. It would be consistent to assume that it is checking to see if the current certificate used to signed the bootloader has been revoked.

2. The boot.efi bootloader is copied from the selected macOS in /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi to the PreBoot APFS partition in <UUID>/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi.

3. The efi-boot-device variable in EFI is set to the path to the copied boot.efi.

Bad news, my EFI app uses /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi directly. Setting the "Secure Boot" to "No Security" and "External Boot" to "Allow booting from external media" should work in theory. There might be other important nvram variables in 2018 Macs. It's hard to guess, I don't have access to T2 chip machines.

@whiskey_1130, @itsage, send me the automate-eGPU EFI debug log.

EDIT: Security settings are not stored in the nvram:

"Resetting the NVRAM (Command-Option P-R on boot) turns on System Integrity Protection (SIP) if it was disabled, but does not appear to have any affect on SecureBoot.  The settings remain the same as before the reset."

--

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 tsmr
(@tsmr)

Hey all, 

First post on this website since discovering last summer!

Today I collected my MBP 13 2018 with i7,16gb and 1tb ssd from the Apple store. I planned to pair this with the Razer Core v2 & 1060 that are arriving tomorrow however having read about the thermal issues, bootcamp not being avail yet and t2 being a potential showstopper, i'm tempted to leave the device in its box, return to Apple and buy an X1C6.

Should I be concerned about the above or not? If I can be of any help in the meantime, please let me know and i'll do my best. (Haven't used OS X for 6 years...)

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

I Posted by: itsage

@Mac_editor's Purge-Wrangler remains working on the 2018 MacBook Pro, 10.13.6 [17G2112]. I paired the 13" MBP with XG Station Pro and GTX 1080 Ti just now. I'm waiting for Apple to release Boot Camp drivers to test Windows next.

Thought I could cheat and change the NVDARequiredOS to current Mojave Beta version and make things work. Ya, it didn’t, but at least now it says it’s compatible with my OS 😂😭

Curious on how the 13” handles things in Windows. I used to get the flickering MacBook screen that would persist in macOS. Fixed that by using apple_set_os.efi to keep iGPU active on the MacBook screen while in Windows. 

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Someone posted on MacRumors that the boot camp drivers are available now.  Gonna go Install Win10 and see how things go.

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member

@tsmr Im in the same boat as you. Im waiting for my 13 Inch i7 MBP 16gb 512gb to arrive so I can test it with my Gigabyte RX580 Gaming Box.

Dont lose hope yet. Early reviews are saying this bad boy is crazy fast in OSX. 

I’m itching to see how well it performs in Bootcamp with an eGPU.

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member

Posted by: tsmr

Hey all, 

First post on this website since discovering last summer!

Today I collected my MBP 13 2018 with i7,16gb and 1tb ssd from the Apple store. I planned to pair this with the Razer Core v2 & 1060 that are arriving tomorrow however having read about the thermal issues, bootcamp not being avail yet and t2 being a potential showstopper, i'm tempted to leave the device in its box, return to Apple and buy an X1C6.

Should I be concerned about the above or not? If I can be of any help in the meantime, please let me know and i'll do my best. (Haven't used OS X for 6 years...)

@tsmr — Compared to the old MacBook Pros, the thermal throttling seems to be a bigger issue on the 15” 6-Core i9 than the 13” 4-Core i7 from the reviews Ive read.

Given the specs, I think the 13” i7 has the potential to be a great gaming laptop when it’s docked at home with an eGPU.

ReplyQuote
shikhirarora
(@shikhirarora)

I don't have the 2018 15" yet, but this was noted in the latest Mojave Beta for anyone that may be impacted:

• On 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (2018) models, graphics processes run only on the discrete GPU in macOS Mojave beta 4. Adjusting screen brightness settings might not take effect, and external displays might not light up. (42054488)

2016 15" MBP with Vega64 - Akitio Node - Watercooled with Eiswolf 120mm GPX Pro

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Nvidia eGPU works the same way as 2016/2017 MacBook Pro. I hot-plugged the eGPU at Windows logo circle spinning dots. I will be testing AMD eGPU next.

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Looks like I screwed myself by installing mojave beta on an external drive trying to figure out if my igpu problems were a hardware issue.  When I installed boot camp I don't have a Large Memory entry.  I spent hours tonight trying different pcie root ports to disable and couldn't make my gtx 1080 work, or even the usb ports on my core v2 not to yellow bang.  Looks like the beta firmware has a different dsdt setup.  I'm assuming there is no way to revert the boot rom to the shipping version?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Finally, what I was looking for. 15" i7/i9 - both throttle, i9 more. However, using Macs Fan Control should improve performance and keep sustained clocks higher. The cooling curve on the new Macs is too passive for 6-cores. Overall, the 6-core parts perform at ~75-80% expected performance in general. Could push to ~80-85%+ with better fan curves in my opinion. Buyers should take this into consideration.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
(@eltocino)

So for everyone wanting to buy a 15" MBP go with the base i7-8750H for now.
As written here from AppleInsider the performance is more or less the same. They tested the i7 8750H and i9-8950HK.

For me I'll just wait and look how it plays out. After the incident with the keyboard and now the thermal outcry I hope Apple will fix the PD to the CPU.
But well thanks to all that I can save a pretty penny on the higher CPU options, if Apple won't fix it till September and the Mojave release.

ReplyQuote
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

Originally planned for  new 13" but ended up ordering the new 15" i7-8xxx but never bump for that i9 it just too much  and 6 cores is actually game changer coming from dual-core 13" user (late 2016).

I was happy with my old MBP 13" except for storage 500gb SSD simply not enough specially splitting it with MacOS/Windows 10 Bootcamp.... games this days rougly around 80gb average for AAA title some even as high as 120gb lol

so I only bump storage went straight 1tb and future plan for external SSD on those games that isn't online multiplayer/competitive will be stored.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: Ningauble77

Looks like I screwed myself by installing mojave beta on an external drive trying to figure out if my igpu problems were a hardware issue.  When I installed boot camp I don't have a Large Memory entry.  I spent hours tonight trying different pcie root ports to disable and couldn't make my gtx 1080 work, or even the usb ports on my core v2 not to yellow bang.  Looks like the beta firmware has a different dsdt setup.  I'm assuming there is no way to revert the boot rom to the shipping version?

What's the Boot Rom version on your MacBook Pro now? I will check my Boot Camp partition later today and see whether it has Large Memory allocation in Device Manager.

I briefly connected a Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box last night. AMD eGPU is still a headache to resolve error 12. apple_set_os.efi doesn't seem to have the same effect on this 2018 MacBook Pro. I rely on hotplugging the eGPU at the Windows logo spinning circles in order to keep the iGPU activated. Strangely, the only arrangement in which error 12 would be resolved is to connect an external monitor and eGPU at boot. This means no activated iGPU and a stuck Windows logo on the internal display.

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Posted by: itsage
What's the Boot Rom version on your MacBook Pro now? I will check my Boot Camp partition later today and see whether it has Large Memory allocation in Device Manager.

16.16.334.5.5,0  I believe the shipping boot rom should be 15.16.334.5.5.0.  

ReplyQuote
 of  3