Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
New MBP otw. Is RX580 too close in performance to onboard dGPU? Please help me w...

New MBP otw. Is RX580 too close in performance to onboard dGPU? Please help me weigh pros/cons of using an AMD eGPU.  

RSS

motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

The 2018 15.4" MBP comes with a Radeon Pro 560x. Now as I understand this has a 2.54x less 3dmark11 score than the RX 580. To me this really isn't a huge difference, and probably not worth getting an EGPU so close in performance to the onboard dGPU.

However, that begs the question: are there are other reasons to using an eGPU other than sheer power difference between the onboard dGPU and a full desktop GPU? For instance, does using an eGPU mean less CPU usage, less heat, and therefore less CPU throttling? Does using an eGPU mean faster performance for any other reason other than the overall power difference between the two cards.

Considering that the Pro 560x is somewhat close in performance to the RX 580, at what performance level does it become worth it to get an eGPU? Should it be a Vega 56? Vega 64? Radeon VII

I currently own a GTX 1070 but with no support in macOS for Nvidia I'll be getting rid of it and moving to AMD. When I bought the 1070 the purchase made perfect sense, it blew my onboard shitty R9 dGPU out of the water, and that dGPU was melting down and not functioning properly anyways. Since this is a brand new machine, I expect the dGPU will be performing like a monster and in order to justify a new card it has to be faster than the RX 580. But I don't know yet and that's why I'm asking. Thanks for any thoughtful responses in advance.

Quick edit: I will eventually look forward to gaming at 4k on high / ultra and I want perfectly smooth FPS with no tearing.

This topic was modified 5 months ago

2018 15" MBP w/ Radeon Pro 560x
Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W
macOS Mojave, Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: timothyov

Now as I understand this has a 2.54x less 3dmark11 score than the RX 580.

Considering that the Pro 560x is somewhat close in performance to the RX 580...

No, the Pro 560X is not close to the RX580 in performance. Why would you call a factor of 2.54 "close"?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

Posted by: OliverB
Posted by: timothyov

Now as I understand this has a 2.54x less 3dmark11 score than the RX 580.

Considering that the Pro 560x is somewhat close in performance to the RX 580...

No, the Pro 560X is not close to the RX580 in performance. Why would you call a factor of 2.54 "close"?

Because in the past my reason for getting my eGPU was a card that was like 20x faster than the card I had, hence all of the clutter, extra cost, cables, dongles, hassle was worth it. It was an GTX 1070 taking the load off a AMD Radeon R9 M370X (5.8x faster) and at that point my R9 was already overheating and unable to perform, so it was actually a huge difference. However the 2.4x difference between the RX 580 and 560x dGPU is less of a clear cut decision.

Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@timothyov Best option would be for you to experience and go through your daily workflow on the new machine and find out if the 560X is sufficient for your needs. An RX580 is definitively superior (ballpark ~2x faster - one benchmark doesn't say it all, example Cinebench) but whether or not such an upgrade makes sense totally depends on workflow (for example, say the 560X isn't letting you do realtime video editing for some codec you work with, but the 580 is enough to allow you to - it can be sensible then).

This post was modified 5 months ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer

ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

What about 4K gaming on AMD? Should I wait for the VII to become mainstream and supported by Apple before I do anything?

Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@timothyov 4K gaming = highest end GPUs. If your goal is that, then even an RX580 is way underpowered. I do 4K gaming as well, and the Vega 64 just works out for the games I play (nowhere near high end NVIDIA performance) - on bootcamp, not macOS.

motoic liked
ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

Oh man that's a huge bummer. Any idea if VII support is coming to Apple?

Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@timothyov We can only speculate at this time. As you may know with the current macOS builds (10.14.4+) we can get the VII to work on macOS using Device ID injection, but that's hardly suitable for work or play (bootcamp works, but there are issues there too - see @oliverb benchmarks), though it may indicate support in the future (as soon as 10.14.5+, or as late as 10.15.4, or whenever, can't say). Maybe around the time the new Mac Pro arrives.

motoic liked
ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@timothyov We can only speculate at this time. As you may know with the current macOS builds (10.14.4+) we can get the VII to work on macOS using Device ID injection, but that's hardly suitable for work or play (bootcamp works, but there are issues there too - see @oliverb benchmarks), though it may indicate support in the future (as soon as 10.14.5+, or as late as 10.15.4, or whenever, can't say). Maybe around the time the new Mac Pro arrives.

It really looks like just sticking with my GTX 1070 and bootcamp seems to be the right choice. Don't want the expense of selling it on eBay for way less than I paid, then getting a Vega 64 and dealing with the same thing all over again when support for higher end cards comes. I'm not poor but it really feels like I'd be pissing away money switching between similar cards over a vendor dispute between Apple/Nvidia and coming out the worst for it by hundreds of dollars. Really unfortunate that this is the reality Apple has created...

Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@timothyov, Both, Vega64 and RadeonVII are clearly superior to your GTX1070, even though RadeonVII is not as strong as it is supposed to be in a eGPU setup. Both cards have the advantage to run with Mojave, which your GTX1070 probably never will.

It's great to know that you are not poor. Thanks for this information.

This post was modified 5 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

motoic liked
ReplyQuote
motoic
(@tsh3721)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take it into consideration. I'm not too familiar with all of the specs and thought that the GTX1070 and Vega 64 were relatively equal.

Nvidia GTX 1070
Akitio Node
32" LG 32UD99-W

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote