Nicolas Demetriou
(@nicolas_demetriou)

Hello Peeps,

I have recently purchased this laptop:

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-aw0xxx

Microprocessor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz
System memory 16 GB

I would like to connect an eGPU to it so i was looking for some advice as i am totally new to this. After some research i conducted, the Razer Core X with MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8 GB looks like a good combo. Both of these will set me back around 900Euro so i don't want to make a mistake like buying things that will not work together or will not give me the value that i will be paying for. So if anyone is kind enough to offer some advice and answer a couple of questions:

1. Is the above graphics card compatible with the Razer Core X? (i looked in the FAQ section of Razer but they only mention RTX 2070 chipset not the RTX 2070 Super

2. The card has a recommended minimum power supply of 550W. In the description of the Core X it has 2 indications for wattage. One says "For 3 slot GPU up to 330mm length / 500 watt TDP" and the other "Power supply: 650 watts (internal), 2x 8pin connections". This is confusing for me!!

Any other advice is welcomed!

Thanks in advance for your input and enjoy your Sunday @home

Nic

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nicolas_demetriou, RTX 2070 Super is currently the best value GPU imo. It will work great with the Razer Core X and your new HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-aw0xxx. The power supply requirement you found is for Desktop build. In an eGPU build, you can take the graphics card TDP and the Power Delivery of enclosure to get an idea of PSU requirement.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nicolas Demetriou
(@nicolas_demetriou)

@itsage thanks for your time and advice. I didn't really get what you said in the 2nd sentence but confirming that the aforementioned equipment will work was the most important. 

Thanks again 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@nicolas_demetriou

TDP = Thermal Design Power. For the RTX 2070: 175Watts (W).
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2070.c3252

PD = Power Delivery. For the Razer Core X: 100W
https://egpu.io/best-egpu-buyers-guide/

PSU = Power Supply Unit

175W + 100W = 275W. Add 50W in overhead for other stuff = 325W. The Razer Core X comes with 650W PSU which is way more than enough. That leaves 500W for a GPU (subtract 100W PD and 50W overhead).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Nicolas Demetriou
(@nicolas_demetriou)

Thanks 🙏🏿 

ReplyQuote