New to the world of eGPUs, would love some thoughts/opinions on my concerns befo...

Notifications
Clear all

New to the world of eGPUs, would love some thoughts/opinions on my concerns before I buy  

RSS

(@akash_radia)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the world of eGPUs and have some lingering questions before I take the plunge. I have an HP spectre x360, late 2019 edition, and predominately play esports titles like FIFA 20 and Football Manager 2020. I'm looking for that little graphics kick that make those games a little bit more enjoyable. I'd previously posted on here for setup recs but after some research have narrowed it down to the following:

Laptop: HP Spectre x360, late 2019 w/thunderbolt 3. i7 intel 10th gen, 16gb RAM, 1tb ssd

eGPU setup options: 

- Razer Core X (or similar) with a budget graphics card like AMD Radeon RX 560 or 570/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

OR

- Aorus Gigabyte Gaming Box with RX580 or Sonnet Breakaway with RX580

Budget: Would not like to go over $400/450 (was deciding between the spectre and razer blade stealth so if it goes any higher then I may just consider the stealth)

Given the above, here are my concerns. Apologies if they sound basic. Any response is much appreciated.

1. Would either of the above setups significantly raise my electric bill, create significant noise, and/or produce significant amounts of heat? I'd hate to get an angry letter from my landlord or piss off my roommate, making the experience a lot less enjoyable. 

2. Does any of the tech above have a history of being unreliable (disconnecting, difficult to setup, breaks easily etc.)?

3. I don't really have the space for a large external monitor and would prefer to play on my laptop screen (60hz I believe). Does that significantly decrease the fps/performance to the point where it's not worth getting an eGPU (open to getting an external monitor within a year or so).

4. Is the core (or the other options) pretty future proof? In that, if I want to upgrade my graphics card next year or the year after I shouldn't have an issue?

Thanks in advance everyone. Note: Also posted on Reddit. 

HP Spectre x360, late 2019. i7, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@akash_radia I would recommend either the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box, PowerColor mini Pro, or Sonnet Breakaway Puck 570 at your budget. The Ice Lake laptops have better Thunderbolt 3 implementation so using the eGPU for internal display mode should be a better experience than previous generations.

Noise emission is a trade-off between internal laptop fan noise or the eGPU fan noise. The laptop fan noise is typically louder in my experience. A quiet eGPU is possible but you'd have to go for a larger enclosure and likely higher budget. If you can find Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 + RX 580 for around $450 that would be ideal.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage

If Ice Lake has built in Thunderbolt 3, then does that mean these laptops are more likely to have dual DisplayPort connected to Thunderbolt? Have there been PC laptops in the past with dual DisplayPort Thunderbolt?

Ice Lake is for laptops. Is there a desktop CPU with built in Thunderbolt yet?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@akash_radia)

@itsage

Thank you very much for the feedback! Should I look into the Sonnet and RX 570 as future proof option? As in I can switch at the graphics card when I want to?

And out of  Gigabyte  RX 580   Gaming BoxPowerColor mini Pro , or  Sonnet Breakaway Puck 570, is there one you would recommend out of them? I'm most concerned about heat and noise as they all seem to use the same graphics card.

HP Spectre x360, late 2019. i7, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@akash_radia Concerning future proof as well as heat and noise management, going with a full size enclosure and a standard graphics card is the best choice. The smaller enclosures with ITX/MXM GPU have limited upgradability and tend to be running hotter/louder. Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 + RX 570/580 is an excellent plan.

@joevt I'm not aware of an non-Apple computer with dual DP Thunderbolt 3 monitor output. I haven't tried an Ice Lake laptop to see what changes the newer Thunderbolt 3 implementation bring in terms of display output arrangement. I don't think there's dual DP TB3 still. The i7-1065G7 for example has 3 display outputs/pipes eDP/DP/HDMI according to Intel specifications.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I'll throw in a wild card recommendation - if size/space is an issue you could get a Node Lite and whatever the newer equivalent of a GTX 1050ti is (just checked, 1650 Super, which is roughly between a 560 and 570) which shouldn't require an additional power supply.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote