Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Noob Hardware Question - Mac Mini 2018 + GTX 1050TI

Noob Hardware Question - Mac Mini 2018 + GTX 1050TI  

RSS

macdre1
(@macdre1)

Hi everyone, hoping for some guidance for a total newcomer to the world of eGPU’s and GPU’s in general. I’ve searched through the threads but couldn’t find an answer to this exact question. 

I have a i7 Mac Mini 2018, and a friend of mine is upgrading his graphics card and giving me his old Asus GTX 1050 TI

I’m capable of following the guides here for driver installation etc, but I have a question about the necessary hardware in terms of the enclosure. If I understand correctly, the 1050 TI has no need for an external power supply. Would I definitely need to purchase an eGPU enclosure in order to connect the card via Thunderbolt 3? Most enclosures look like they start around $180-200. Is there a cheap, easy way to build your own enclosure, or is there simply a way for me to bare connect the card to the TB3 port using a TB3 cable? If not, I’ll probably refuse the card from my friend and just tell him to sell it on eBay or something. 

Thanks so much in advance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

You’ll need an enclosure...
the 1050ti doesn’t need an additional power supply via 6 or a pin connector as most graphics cards, it draws its power from a PCIe slot which most PCs have and all enclosures have. So yep, you’ll need an enclosure for 200 odd quid. 
Also worth noting Nvidia cards do not work with Mojave’s (latest MacOS) so you’ll need to use windows (should be an easy set up). 
A Mac mini with a 1050ti will be a nice little gaming set up in windows.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote