[Noob] Please help me for the best choice // egpu Imac Reatina Late 2015

Notifications
Clear all

[Noob] Please help me for the best choice // egpu Imac Reatina Late 2015  

RSS

Sergio Minnici
(@sergio_minnici)

Hello guys,

i need to upgrade my imac quickly, my workflow is too slow in the last year (i'm videographer) and is almost impossible edit video with premiere, after fx and davinci resolve.
With new cameras and codecs the workflow is even more huge for the hardware.
In 4k impossible without proxy files or pre render everything on timeline, hd too when timeline have effects and composition.
Last works i'm truly lost a lot of time.

I don't have money/budget for brand new imac, and my imac still sick for me, the problem is the graphic card?!
I think the i7 quad core, 32gb ram and ssd drive's still ok but the 4gb gpu is the problem.

Make sense at the end of 2020 think to buy something like Black magic egpu like this with thunderbolto 2-3 adaptor at €500,00 used?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicegpu/

Or better other solution more powerfull for more life?

I'm interested only for video editing not gaming.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sergio

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@sergio_minnici

Maybe wait a bit, if it’s possible.

Hopefully Apple adds the necessary drivers for AMD’s new 6000 series cards to Big Sur sometime soon. At this moment, we don’t know exactly when this will happen. 

But, a new AMD RX 6800 card ($579 USD) will have (more than) twice the power and twice the graphics memory (16GB).

When Big Sur has driver support, you could look for the best price in your locale on a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure to house an RX 6800.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sergio Minnici
(@sergio_minnici)

Posted by: @mini-i5

@sergio_minnici

Maybe wait a bit, if it’s possible.

Hopefully Apple adds the necessary drivers for AMD’s new 6000 series cards to Big Sur sometime soon. At this moment, we don’t know exactly when this will happen. 

But, a new AMD RX 6800 card ($579 USD) will have (more than) twice the power and twice the graphics memory (16GB).

When Big Sur has driver support, you could look for the best price in your locale on a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure to house an RX 6800.

great many thanks for the suggestion.

yeah waiting make sense, i don't know if my hardware setup is ok with 16gb ram egpu

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@sergio_minnici

Your iMac is all set with the 32GB RAM currently installed.

Later, you can always attach an external 4K display to the eGPU dedicated to video editing, for the best performance. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sergio Minnici
(@sergio_minnici)

@mini-i5,

any update or news?

worth it to made an update of my imac with one external egpu at this time/period? i don't have budget for a total upgrade right now

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@sergio_minnici

I wish AMD had been more forthright about their new 6800/6900 series graphics cards.

But AMD withheld the important information. The 6800/6900 cards are a nice design idea - and almost completely unbuildable in reality.

For months, all graphics card news has been bad news. 

Trying out an M1 Apple Silicon Mac for video editing is something I would pursue in 2021. 

itsage liked
ReplyQuote