Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
NVIDIA 2080 TI on Mac Pro Late 2013 for GPU Rendering

NVIDIA 2080 TI on Mac Pro Late 2013 for GPU Rendering  

RSS

Xarovan
(@xarovan)

Hello forum,
I'm Using Mac Pro Late 2013, 12 cores 2.7 GHz, 64 GB RAM with dual AMD FireproD700, mostly for film editing and VFX, Running on High Sierra
as you all know AMD cards have no use in 3D Motion Design world especially on third-party renderers.

I want to give it a try with eGPU.
I gonna use an NVIDIA 2080 TI card to see how it goes with Redshift and Cycles4D renderers before jump into the PC world.
I'm living in Turkey and the only enclosures that I have access to are Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W and ASUS XG Station Pro
Since I'm a newbie in whole eGPU thing I need experts opinion and help.

1- How is the eGPU performance through TB2?
2- Which enclosure is better for me? Sonnet or XG Station?
3- What should I know ahead?

Cheers and Thanks

Mac Pro Late 2013, 12 Cores Xeon E5 2.7 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 Memory, Dual FirePro D700 6 GB, 1 TB Internal SSD Drive

ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

Hey,
RTX cards are not supported on macOS, only Windows. eGPUs are not working on Windows on Mac Pro 'trashcan'.

Get GTX1080Ti that is working on High Sierra.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

ReplyQuote
Xarovan
(@xarovan)

@devild

Thanks for reply,
how is the 1080ti performance on 3rd party renderer such as Redshift or Cycles4d? any advice?

Mac Pro Late 2013, 12 Cores Xeon E5 2.7 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 Memory, Dual FirePro D700 6 GB, 1 TB Internal SSD Drive

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @devild

Hey,
RTX cards are not supported on macOS, only Windows. eGPUs are not working on Windows on Mac Pro 'trashcan'.

Get GTX1080Ti that is working on High Sierra.

Still, there is the option to use a Kepler card (most of GTX600 and GT700, including GTX Titan (Black/Z) on Mojave. But those cards are not very new  and clearly outperformed by newer AMD cards.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

Xarovan liked
ReplyQuote
devild
(@devild)
Trusted Member

@xarovan

The performance of the card in the Sonnet eGFX in OctaneBench was about 10-15% lower than the performance in the PC (if I remember correctly).

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.

Xarovan liked
ReplyQuote