Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
nVidia Geforce GTX1080Ti vs AMD Radeon Vega 56 - A hard decision

nVidia Geforce GTX1080Ti vs AMD Radeon Vega 56 - A hard decision  

RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I am totally lost in my decision between my GTX1080Ti and a Vega56. Which one should I use?

Conditions:
1) I am a Software Developer using MacOSX professionally, but I do not use 3D acceleration during my work, so do not need eGPUs here. But it's practical to have my external monitor attached to the GPU. Very annoying and disturbing my work: I can't go to mojave with nVidia cards and I can't hot-unplug with them in MacOSX. (+1 AMD)
2) I love occasional gaming, mostly under windows, of course here the GTX1080Ti wins easily. (+1 nVidia)
3) I have a Freesync Monitor (+1 AMD)
4) I sometimes need to encode videos (hevc), Pascal chips are superb in this matter (+1 nVidia)
5) I have a second MacBook which cannot boot with nVidia cards plugged in (+1 AMD)
6) My main notebook has an AMD dGPU, which hates AMD eGPUs under window and will never allow to accelerate internal display. Further the software connect/disconnect of the eGPU is much better with nVidia software (+1 nVidia)

It's a Tie! I am helpless. Which one would you use in my position?

(Hint: Vega64 is not possible, because the compatible enclosures are too large and way too loud, budget doesn't play a role either.).

This topic was modified 11 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

If I have to choose one, it’s definitely the GTX 1080 Ti. You can stay on 10.13.6 until there’s drivers for Mojave.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: itsage

If I have to choose one, it's definitely the GTX 1080 Ti. You can stay on 10.13.6 until there's drivers for Mojave.

Thank you for your opinion. And of course, thank you a lot, for all your great work here!

Actually the hardest point of all them is number 6)

6) My main notebook has an AMD dGPU, which hates AMD eGPUs under window and will never allow to accelerate internal display. Further the software connect/disconnect of the eGPU is much better with nVidia software (+1 nVidia)

It may not be the most important case, but it's the one thing, you have no workaround when using the wrong eGPU (in this case an AMD eGPU is wrong). On a 15-inch MBP it's just not possible to accelerate the internal display if you have an AMD eGPU. So you won't be able to use your eGPU when you have no external monitor.

1) is still nasty, but doable, as long as High Sierra is supported. This will go very problematic, when we all must switch to Mojave and still there are no nVidia WebDrivers for Mojave out.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote