Planning to get this set: 13-14inch 11th Gen i7 + Razer Core X + GTX 1070 Ti (al...

Notifications
Clear all

Planning to get this set: 13-14inch 11th Gen i7 + Razer Core X + GTX 1070 Ti (already owned) + 1080p @ 144Hz  

RSS

harf
 harf
(@harf)

Hello, so I'm planning to replace my desktop gaming system with a small and light laptop (prefarably 13", at maximum 14") that I can take with me to work, travels etc. and while at home, plug into an eGPU enclosure to get into some gaming (mainly CS:GO, WoW, other non-AAA-titles) @ FullHD 144Hz (BenQ XL2411P). I already own a GTX 1070 Ti (Asus ROG Strix OC) on my current rig and plan on using that for the eGPU.

Since Intel recently released 11th gen mobile processors, I plan on waiting until computers with them are available. Supposedly they bring performance improvements over 10th gen, plus Thunderbolt 4. Does TB4 have any effect over TB3, or is the TB "version" dependant on the enclosure? I have my eyes on Razer Core X since it's a popular one and easily available in my Europe.

I read the guide and took note of things I should take into consideration while choosing a laptop, mainly PCIe 3.0 @ x4 plus OPI 40Gbps. No manufacturer lists these in their tech specs, so I'm assuming only new Dell XPS and HP Spectre in machines under 1.500€ include these features. I'd really go for HP or Dell over Lenovo, unless someone underlines a great reason why.

TL;DR: Recommend me a laptop based on listed requirements and purposes Smile

Edit: New 11th gen Spectre-laptops seems to have 3:2 display which I DON'T want, sticking with 16:9 FullHD.

Edit 2: Well it seems to be the new normal since Dell XPS goes with 3:2 also.. I'd prefer 16:9 Full HD if possible.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
drdoom2k
(@drdoom2k)

Notebookcheck published a review of the 11th gen Intel i7 within the 'Asus ZenBook 14 UX425E': somehow the benchmarks were horrible vs. the previous 10th gen i7 in say the XPS 13. Maybe I have read that wrong or perhaps the Asus just throttles a lot? Looking at the XPS 13 late 2020 as well, fingers crossed some benchmarks are coming out soon and that eGPU experience is less bottlenecked that on previous generations. My Warzone FPS are dropping to 40 consistently even though running a 2070 Super on a XPS 13 9370.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote