Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
PSU Noise Sonnet 650W vs. Razer Core X

PSU Noise Sonnet 650W vs. Razer Core X  

RSS

DannyKrabs
(@dannykrabs)

Hello,

can anyone tell me if the Sonnet eGPU 650W and/or the Razer Core X are hearable when idle?
I'd like to maintain my setup mostly silent when I'm doing office work so that's quite important for me.

From what I've read the Sonnet eGPU 650W includes an Enermax ERV650SWT which should stay silent until 30% load. The Razer Core X PSU on the other hand should have quite an annoying 60mm fan included in its PSU, can someone confirm this? Also, if that's the case, has anyone experiences in exchanging the ATX PSU of the Razer Core X? Razer answered to my mail that it should be possible to replace it theoretically but they do not suggest me to do so.

Greetings

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Sonnet Breakaway 650 is quieter. You can definitely swap the ATX PSU inside Razer Core X.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
DannyKrabs
(@dannykrabs)

Thank you. Yes, I know that a swap is possible theoretically. But maybe anyone has experiences with that? Will it really work if I swap the PSU?
I tend to buy the Razer Core X + another PSU because even together it's a lot cheaper than the Sonnet 650W and I like that the Razer Core includes an ATX PSU.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The cables from the Razer Core X are one 24-pin main power, one 8-pin EPS power, and two 6+2-pin PCIe power. The main and EPS cables go to the Thunderbolt 3 main board. The PCIe cables go to the GPU. All ATX power supplies should have these.

The only concern I have is placement of the PSU fan. In most ATX units, a 120mm fan is placed on one of the two larger surfaces. In the Razer Core X‘s PSU, the 60mm fan is place towards the rear next to the ON/OFF switch.

ReplyQuote
DannyKrabs
(@dannykrabs)

Sure, you're right. Most of the PSUs I know have a fan directed towards the bottom and then the airflow would be prevented by the Razer Core X case, wouldn't it?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Yes, you’ll need a way to reroute hot air from the PSU outside rather than into the enclosure. It’s a tough task finding a better replacement than the existing PSU inside the Core X for a reasonable cost.

ReplyQuote
DannyKrabs
(@dannykrabs)

Yes, sounds quite difficult. Does the Sonnet 650 stay silent with its standard PSU in idle, do you know that?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I wouldn’t say the Enermax ERV650SWT is silent at idle. It’s definitely quieter than the ATX PSU inside the Core X. Silent as in 0dB at idle is only possible with the ASUS XG Station Pro. Unless you’re planning on running RX Vega 64, I highly recommend looking into the XG Station Pro.

ReplyQuote
DannyKrabs
(@dannykrabs)

You're right, thank you. This enclosure looks really promising, although it's sad that it can't run a Vega 64 and also no power to the MacBook (in my case I'd like to try it with my new 2018 one that should arrive in a week). But I have a 4k LG monitor with USB C so I should be able to power the MacBook with this one. It also has FreeSync which is why Vega 64 would have been my first choice.
Also nice is the included 1.5m Thunderbolt cable. The other eGPU enclosures only include a 0.5m cable so I would need to buy another one for at least 50€ on top.

Well, thank you for your advise for the moment, it was really helpful. I need to think about what to do. Seems like there is not "the perfect" one out there yet, but the ASUS one looks also best to me.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
DannyKrabs
(@dannykrabs)

Posted by: itsage

I wouldn't say the Enermax ERV650SWT is silent at idle. It's definitely quieter than the ATX PSU inside the Core X. Silent as in 0dB at idle is only possible with the ASUS XG Station Pro. Unless you're planning on running RX Vega 64, I highly recommend looking into the XG Station Pro.

I do have another question regarding that enclosure:
The XG Station Pro can't charge the MacBook so I'd need another cable for this. I have a LG 27UD88-W with USB-C.

Is it possible to use the monitor for charging as well as for the eGPU? Sorry for my bad English. I mean:
- Monitor Displayport to eGPU 
- Monitor USB-C to MacBook USB-C for charging
- eGPU USB-C to MacBook USB-C for GPU use (gaming in bootcamp primarly)

At the moment my monitor is connected via USB-C only and this way I  can charge the MacBook AND use the monitor at the same time.

When I get the eGPU the MacBook would get "two connections" to the monitor: USB-C directly and USB-C via the eGPU (DisplayPort). Is this possible without difficulties?

ReplyQuote
raybanner
(@raybanner)
Eminent Member

Now after reading this. Is there something you guys can recommend me to make the Razer Core X quieter? Recommendations for fans and psu replacements?

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

If you really want a silent system, and if you are not planning to move the eGPU often, you should consider placing a PSU externally.

369D9CA6 EA58 4513 997D 2293B3F6E347

What you see here is a Sonnet 550 with the OEM PSU removed and hooked up to EVGA 850W Titanium. The 550 host a Vega FE/LC, OC’ed to 1700/1045.

The PSU runs at 0db while the GPU is at 100%. Between the better PSU and other non-warranty-voiding tweaks I made, the whole system stays under 45db from where I sit during gaming. (I play No Man’s Sky, and it eats GPU for breakfast).

No reason to get 650 if you plan to replace the PSU.

J

2017 iMac 5k 27inch RP580 TB3 + Vega FE/LC + Sonnet 550 + EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING + Sonnet 550 + Mac/Win10

ReplyQuote
chocomonsters
(@chocomonsters)
Eminent Member

If anyone is amenable to downgrading from 650 W to 600 W PSU, a fan less silent PSU is an option.  A Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU has no fan and should be fine with the 120 mm case fan in Core X.

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-Titanium-SSR-600TL-Fanless-Warranty/dp/B01N9OLE9X?th=1

ReplyQuote
Zorn_
(@zorn_)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @chocomonsters

If anyone is amenable to downgrading from 650 W to 600 W PSU, a fan less silent PSU is an option.  A Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU has no fan and should be fine with the 120 mm case fan in Core X.

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-Titanium-SSR-600TL-Fanless-Warranty/dp/B01N9OLE9X?th=1

This is exactly what I'm thinking about doing to the Core X Chroma. Have you done the replacement? Curious if this specific PSU will fit inside. Thanks!

2017 MacBook Pro 15"
Mantiz Venus
Powercolor Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Kid
 Kid
(@kid)

For Razer Core X, the recommended option is Corsair SF series. Seasonic Prime Titanium series (or 1000W Platinum and Gold) with 170mm depth will not fit in Core X because the PSU will bump into the 24pin connector on the PCB. I have Core X with Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W and I can only leave the PSU outside the enclosure.

On the other hand, the new Chroma version most likely is possible to have Seasonic ones inside because the bundled PSU is larger than the old one and the 24pin connector has been moved away from the IO side.

If you want to experiment with Seasonic, personally I would recommend go with Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium (similar price)/Platinum (tiny difference in efficiency but higher quality output)/Gold (lower price) instead. Higher wattage combines with low load fanless mode and silent FDB fan means 0db in the case of eGPU. Leaving the PSU at 50% load gives you peak efficiency with low temperature. Prime Ultra series don't have in line capacitors on the cable which makes the cable more flexible compare to Prime series.

HP Spectre 15-ch000 x360
Razer Core X
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2 Limited Edition
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Monoprice Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps) USB-C Cable, 100W, 2.0m
Thermalright TF X
FujiPoly SARCON XR-m

ReplyQuote