Notifications
Clear all

Radeon 5700 or NVIDIA 2070 S  

of  4
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@beardedbro The Founders Edition cards look great and have excellent build quality. Are you getting those Borderlands 3 results on the Radeon VII?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

@beardedbro The Founders Edition cards look great and have excellent build quality. Are you getting those Borderlands 3 results on the Radeon VII?

That’s with my internal. I returned the 7 after it wouldn’t work well in bootcamp and they said they weren’t supporting the card anymore. I’ll benchmark with the new card when I get it.

i was also looking at the 2080 since it’s only $100 more, is that a better investment? Seems like people were clocking it over 2k which is impressive as hell. I don’t know who makes the best graphics cards or what each company offers over others like MSI vs so and so etc

edit: internal is a Radeon pro 555x with 4gb GDDR5 memory 

This post was modified 10 months ago

2019 15" MBP running 10.14.5 + Bootcamp Win 10 (18362.295)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
eGPU: Red Devil 5700 xt in a Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
BeardedBro
(@beardedbro)
Trusted Member

Decided I’m just going to go with the 2080 instead. Just need to figure out from who lol. 

I do have a slight issue though. When I partitioned my drive for bootcamp I only gave it like 150 gigs, is there a way to increase that amount post partitioning or would I have to wipe and repartition it again?

2019 15" MBP running 10.14.5 + Bootcamp Win 10 (18362.295)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
eGPU: Red Devil 5700 xt in a Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@beardedbro

unfortunately, you have to start again. You can use boot camp to delete but you can’t resize as far as i know. i have enjoyed using the rad vii but on a mac mini it is much different because i’m not dealing with two GPU.

I’m trying to finalize a trade to get a 2080 Ti... when I boot into mac, I just direct connect an Hdmi.... windows is running off the eGPU... (though I did have to do a rebuild thanks ms and your great / not great recent update)

2018 Mac mini + Razer Core X + Radeon vii

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@ttamnogard

I like the iPartition app from https://coriolis-systems.com . It's free now that they've stopped development. They no longer do updates but it still works. I think it has some draw update problem in Mojave - you may need to do some clicking to refresh views.

It can resize partitions and move existing partitions. When moving partitions I use starting block numbers from "gpt -r show -l /dev/disk#". This is necessary to keep Recovery HD partitions next to their corresponding macOS partition (I have every OS since 10.5 Lion on my disks).

It won't resize APFS partitions - maybe you can use Disk Utility to reduce APFS partition sizes. If Disk Utility won't do that, maybe you can clone the Windows partition to a disk image, delete the Windows partition, then shrink the APFS partition in Disk Utility, then restore the cloned Windows partition to a new Windows partition.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4