Radeon W5700 for MacBook Pro with Bootcamp

Notifications
Clear all

Radeon W5700 for MacBook Pro with Bootcamp  

RSS

johnnie
(@johnnie)

Hello

I am a Mac user but I use SolidWorks for my work. So I need to use Bootcamp to run SolidWorks.

As everyone know Solidworks required a good amount of GPU so I am about to buy eGPU for this purpose.

I have read that OSX do not support Nvidia so I decide to go with Radeon Pro W5700 as it is in SolidWorks suggestion list.

Sometime I need to work remotely so 1st Enclosure in my list is Akitio Node Titan with alternative choice Razer Core X

My Macbook is 13" Macbook Pro 2020 Core-i5 2.0Ghz with 16GB RAM SSD 1TB

Will bootcamp have any issue with above mentioned setup? Will Final Cut Pro gain full potential from W5700 Pro?

I am very appreciate for any suggestion.

Thank You

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@johnnie

Other members report the 13” MBP is very difficult to set up with an eGPU in Windows. 

(The 2018/2020 Mac Mini is the easiest Intel Mac to set up and use with an eGPU in Windows Bootcamp. Revit and 3D AutoCAD also perform very well on the Mini). 

A dedicated graphics card is always helpful in driving a large external display, or multiple displays. 

FCP is very very selective about when a GPU or eGPU is used for processing video.  Depending on the task, an eGPU might be used very little in FCP - other than to drive the larger display(s).

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RP W5500 (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.6 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RP W5500 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote