Razer Blade 14 2016 + egpu  

LCH
 LCH
(@lch)
June 18, 2018 10:31 am  

I had my Razer Blade 14 since 2016, it is running Core i7-6700HQ with base clock speed 2.6 GHz. It has 16 GB of ram and using a GTX 970M. Recently, I want to buy an egpu to upgrade my setup. Aorus gaming box is what I am going for, but I am not sure whether I should buy the 1080 version or 1070 or even the AMD version since I have a free sync monitor. I have done my research and saw many had said that 1080 is bottlenecked by the bandwith. With the laptop I have, which egpu is more appropriate for me? Thank you for your time.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 18, 2018 6:57 pm  

@lch You can find benchmark numbers to show the performance difference between the AORUS Gaming Box 1070 and 1080 in my review. The laptop I used was 2016 15" MacBook Pro which has i7-6700HQ as well. Here's the review (with benchmarks) for the RX 580 Gaming Box. Keep in mind the routing of Thunderbolt PCIe connection makes a difference in performance. I've never used the Blade 14 but would guess it has 4 PCI lanes for the Thunderbolt 3 port. The unknown is whether this connection attaches to the CPU directly or via PCH.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

61 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
LCH
 LCH
(@lch)
June 18, 2018 7:41 pm  

@theitsage Thank you so much for your reply, both of the reviews you have done was detailed and the conclusion you gave at the end is very helpful. Now I have an idea which one I should buy, thanks again.

ReplyQuote
LCH
 LCH
(@lch)
June 18, 2018 7:46 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@lch You can find benchmark numbers to show the performance difference between the AORUS Gaming Box 1070 and 1080 in my review. The laptop I used was 2016 15" MacBook Pro which has i7-6700HQ as well. Here's the review (with benchmarks) for the RX 580 Gaming Box. Keep in mind the routing of Thunderbolt PCIe connection makes a difference in performance. I've never used the Blade 14 but would guess it has 4 PCI lanes for the Thunderbolt 3 port. The unknown is whether this connection attaches to the CPU directly or via PCH.

@itsage one more question from me. Is it possible to take out the gpu from the egpu and plug it into a desktop if I wanted to? Is there any loss of performance when comparing it to a normal 1080 (given that the gpu from aorus gaming box is plugged in directly into the motherboard) ? Sorry for bothering you and thank you again.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 18, 2018 8:59 pm  

Most motherboards don't have the clearance between PCIe slots to fit the custom 130mm fan of the Gigabyte GTX 1080 in the Gaming Box. There's definitely performance loss in eGPU enclosure vs dGPU in PC. Here's some benchmarks I did with GTX 980 Ti.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

61 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote