Razer Core X + MacBook Pro 2018 - AMD or Nvidia?  

RSS

mrbogart
(@mrbogart)
December 2, 2018 9:34 am  

Hey everybody, I have a MacBook Pro 15' 2018, 2.6Ghz i7, 16gb, Radeon 560 and I'm looking to get a Razer Core X in the next few days. I would like to get a Nvidia 1080 or 1070 for my rendering needs, I work with 3D programs and most of the render engines are for Cuda/Nvidia. I was reading about it in the forum and saw that Mojave does not support Nvidia yet. Does anyone have an idea when the drivers would come? At least an estimate based on previous releases. I will be working from home in Dec/Jan and I need a good graphics card but if there's no time frame for the release of Nvidia compatibility I will get an AMD for the time being.

Thank you very much

MacBook Pro 15' 2018
2.6 GHz i7
16GB
Radeon 560X

ReplyQuote
winnertakesteve
(@winnertakesteve)
December 2, 2018 8:39 pm  

I went with amd since it is “supported” by default, however I’d strongly encourage you to look around for performance benchmarks specific to your desired applications in macOS.

i render with blender cycles and while the Vega 64 performs quite well for this in windows, it is extremely bad in macOS. Much worse than even generic Mac opencl benchmarks would suggest.

MacBook Pro 2018 560X dgpu + Razer Core x + Vega 64, macOS Mojave + windows 10

ReplyQuote
mrbogart
(@mrbogart)
December 3, 2018 12:40 am  

Hey thanks for the answer. I will look it up. I’m working now mostly with Cinema 4D, if I could get Nvidia I would render with Octane or Redshift, if I'm going AMD route probably stay on Pro Render or  just CPU render on Arnold.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018
2.6 GHz i7
16GB
Radeon 560X

ReplyQuote