Razer Core X or Cooler Master MasterCase EG200

Notifications
Clear all

Razer Core X or Cooler Master MasterCase EG200  

RSS

Davide 445
(@davide_445)

Need to purchase a eGPU dock on Amazon and finding only these one with a good price and immediate availability (I'm located in Europe).

Will be used with a Lenovo ThinkPad X380 Yoga, with TB3 x2 link and a GTX 1070 GPU for sporadic VR demos.

Wanted to ask if there is a specific reason apart a few €/$ difference in price to prefer one or the other.

Reading the reviews seems to me the Cooler Master is more modern, but sure the Razer is more proven.

I'm more oriented trough the EG200, but since I need it for a demo in two weeks I wanted also something that can work without problems.

2018 13" Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X380 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 // Vive Cosmos VR [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@davide_445, The Cooler Master EG200 has a newer Thunderbolt 3 controller, has an integrated USB HUB and an internal Sata Drive Bay. 

The Razer Core X provides more power to the host device (100watts) and has a more powerful internal PSU.

VR can be finicky when it comes to connecting to a host device. Personally I would get the Razer Core X and connect the VR HeadSet's USB directly to your laptop. 

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Davide 445
(@davide_445)

@boltoway, I didn't expect to power 3090/6900XT beasts since with a TB3 x2 link will be probably a waste.

Any specific reason to prefer the Razr. The older TB chipset guarantee a better compatibility, or something else.

Connecting VR headset will need a DP (to the card) and USB3 (not available on the laptop). Reading of problems with USB ports under load and the suggestion of having two TB3 controllers to solve the problem, the only one with this is the Mantiz Saturn Pro, not available on Amazon and accepting returns only for domestic deliveries (meaning Singapore? I didn't find any reference to the legal entity on Mantiz website, just a reference to a Mantiz Innovation PTE LTD based in Singapore using Google), so I'm in doubt if the Cooler Master will guarantee better results due his newer TB chipset regarding this problem, or the fact has a separate usb connection.

This post was modified 2 months ago
2018 13" Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga X380 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 // Vive Cosmos VR [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@davide_445

The only reason I was specifically advising the Core X was your request for reliability. 

I was under the impression the Lenovo ThinkPad X380 Yoga had two USB 3.0 ports?

Also, the EG200 doesn't run the USB Hub through the Thunderbolt Port. It has a seperate Hub that connects through a USB 3.0 Cable. 

(Another option for dual controllers would be the Lenovo Legion BoostStation, but it is hard to find).

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Davide 445
(@davide_445)

@boltoway, yes looking at the specs the laptop has 2xUSB3, was misled due the fact the port has the black and not the blue lid.

Not clear to me if having a separate usb hub it's a good/better or neutral thing respect the Core X

Realiability I suppose you mean since the Core X it's much more used, I didn't find almost anyone using the EG200.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member

@davide_445,

Yeah, the USB Hub in the EG200 is an interesting way of adding USB Ports without limiting bandwidth of the TB3 connection, but other than being nicely enclosed in the eGPU, doesn't offer anything more than any generic USB Hub does. 

Pretty much! The EG200 is a lot more recent and has far less user experience. In saying that, I don't see anything wrong with the EG200. 

ReplyQuote
BlackJack84
(@blackjack84)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @boltoway

The Razer Core X provides more power to the host device (100watts) and has a more powerful internal PSU.

I think it's worth mentioning the Razer Core X PSU fan noise, which - at least in my case, personal preference - was enough to be a dealbreaker.
If the PSU is to be replaced anyway, as many have done in this forum (the alternative being modding the PSU fan), the higher power out of the box becomes sort of a moot point.
On the other hand the higher PD rating stands, although the EG200's 60W are enough for the X380 Yoga.

2021 14" Tongfang PH4TRX1 [11th,4C,H] + GTX1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
Davide 445
(@davide_445)

@blackjack84, that's a good point for demos.

I'm not so concerned about the power output ad the available 450W for the GPU and 60W for the laptop need to be enough, considering also the limitations of the laptop.

ReplyQuote