Ready-to-use-Box with Nvidia for Windows on Macbook Pro (2015) and Thunderbolt 2...

Notifications
Clear all

Ready-to-use-Box with Nvidia for Windows on Macbook Pro (2015) and Thunderbolt 2 for Octane renderer  

RSS

brotherjacob
(@brotherjacob)

Hello,
unfortunately i do not know anything about hardware, but i need an eGPU purchase recommendation.

The following initial situation:
I work on a Macbook Pro (Mid 2015), which only has Thunderbolt 2 connectors. I want to use the Octane renderer in Cinema 4D, which only runs on Nvidia / Windows. Therefore I have already installed Windows via bootcamp and am now looking for an eGPU, preferably a ready made box with an Nvidia card already installed. This must run on my Windows Macbook Pro and be well designed for Octane renderings.

My budget is between 600-1100$.

Do you have a recommendation? It doesn't have to be a cutting-edge eGPU, because I can't use Thunderbolt 2 to its full potential anyway.

I thank you in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
brotherjacob
(@brotherjacob)

Ok, after studiying the builds-forum, i think i will go with the Razer Core X and NVIDIA GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G (the Nvidia variants are confusing me absolutly).

What do you think?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@brotherjacob

I would spend more on the card and less on the enclosure. I’d go with an RTX 2060 Super paired with a PowerColor Gaming Station

Btw, next week OTOY will announce their beta version of Octane X renderer for Mac OS. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
brotherjacob
(@brotherjacob)

Posted by: @mini-i5

@brotherjacob

I would spend more on the card and less on the enclosure. I’d go with an RTX 2060 Super paired with a PowerColor Gaming Station

Btw, next week OTOY will announce their beta version of Octane X renderer for Mac OS. 

thanks for the tipp with the rtx 2060. will check it.

octane beta for mac os? sure? but it is only beta, isn't it?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@brotherjacob

Yes, Apple has had a developer team working with OTOY this past year.

That’s why Octane X (pre-release versions) already run on Apple Silicon (iPad, and even iPhone) as well as Intel. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote