Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
RTX 2080 Super or RTX 2080TI?

RTX 2080 Super or RTX 2080TI?  

RSS

m3mpower
(@m3mpower)

Looking to build EGPU for my Razer Blade 15 1070 i7 8750H. I am planning on using Razer Core X Chroma

Primary reason for the EGPU is for VR on Valve Index. I mainly use VR for iRacing. With just the laptop, I am pretty much limited to 90hz/90fps. I would like to be able to take advantage of the headsets 120hz/144hz modes. Also I am looking for improved frame rates for gaming on 120hz QHD external monitor.

I'm thinking about either 2080 super/2080TI. Is the benefit of the 2080TI in an EGPU worth the extra ~$300-$400? I'm not overly concerned with 2080TI price, but also don't want to waste money if there isn't a real performance advantage.  Would you recommend a hybrid cooler card or just the traditional fans with the Core X?

Any advice is appreciated.

Razer Blade 15 GTX1070 i7 8750H
Razer Core X Chroma
GPU TBD

ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Estimable Member

I think the best for you is to sell your setup and bought a case with, Intel i7 10th gen, 16 Ram at least and the the RTX 2080 ti. I think you need to consider the lag/fps/tb3 (perfomance drop and Bandwidth) with your actual setup.

This is my suggestion.

Concerning your question, with your setup I think you will gain best perfomance with the RTX 2080 ti, but the gain not worth the price difference.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

2016 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@m3mpower RTX 2080 Super is a better value imo. If you use the Core X Chroma, a hybrid GPU with liquid cooling would be the best option.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

There is actually one big issue with the RTX 2080 Super, if you want to do 4k or 5k: The RAM. It's not adequate to have only 8 GB Ram for this kind of card.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
m3mpower
(@m3mpower)

Thanks for the replies. I think I may try the TI. Probably overkill in egpu, but if i'm unhappy with the performance I can use it in a desktop build. I'll let you know how it goes.

Razer Blade 15 GTX1070 i7 8750H
Razer Core X Chroma
GPU TBD

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@oliverb

Why is 8GB not enough for 4K or 5K? A 2.5K 32 bit frame buffer is only 14MB. A 5K 32 bit frame buffer is 56MB. How many frame buffers are needed? Quadrupling the frame buffer size doesn't quadruple the space required for textures, does it?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @joevt

@oliverb

Why is 8GB not enough for 4K or 5K? A 2.5K 32 bit frame buffer is only 14MB. A 5K 32 bit frame buffer is 56MB. How many frame buffers are needed? Quadrupling the frame buffer size doesn't quadruple the space required for textures, does it?

There are quite a number of games where 8GB Vram is too low for 4k when switch to high settings. Resident Evil II and Metro Exodus being two examples. In 5k it's nearly impossible.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@oliverb

but is it the lack of vram that causes them problems, or the size of the frame buffer? I suppose it would make sense if doubling the resolution leads to doubling the size of all the textures (it might be part of the switch to high settings - it means the high setting for a low resolution is not the same as for a high resolution). If a game doesn't use different sized textures for different resolutions, then higher resolutions won't require more VRAM (except for the tiny amount required by the frame buffers).

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@joevt

It looks like a VRAM issue. I tested both games (Resident Evil II and Metro Exodus) during this fine card comparison, and I ran into deep issues even with the 11 GB VRAM of my nVidia GTX 1080 Ti in 4k and especially in 5k. I did have to lower the details. So I think, if 11 GB VRAM is not enough in 5K, then 8 GB it is even less.

I hear there are more games out there that are very VRAM consuming, but those two great titles are already enough for me not to buy a RTX 2080 (Super) with merely 8 GB.

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@oliverb

Roughly speaking, there are 3 bounds we care about: compute/render, memory I/O, and memory capacity (typically VRAM). IMO for games, most modern cards will become render/compute bound first before being memory or I/O bound (speaking in terms of capacity) - unless the design is extremely unbalanced. Rendering "high" textures at 4K is very different than at 2K - not only memory-wise, but render-wise. It is important to factor in how resolution affects textures - in most games, it does, by virtue of having more to render; some games have texture scaling settings separate. A lower texture rendering scale means lower render/compute load. Games without this setting have rendering scale set to 100% - same as resolution. Most cards (such as Vega 64 8GB) are unable to utilize their maximum VRAM in games because even games that consume 4-6GB VRAM (such as Assassin's Creed titles) have significant compute/render requirements where GPUs like the V64 still fall short (and certainly cards such as the RX580). Essentially, most AMD GPUs skew towards better memory capacity and I/O vs. their actual render capabilities (speaking for gaming-oriented workflows). NVIDIA on the other hand seems to have better balanced GPUs for gaming IMO. 5K gaming is another beast entirely, and something I've had no experience with, but ideally the same principles apply. However, hitting VRAM capacity at 5K is certainly much more plausible for high-end GPUs such as the 2080.

Then again, there are some titles that are insane VRAM hogs (Resident Evil), but in my gaming experience so far at 4K, I have never been VRAM bound, always render-bound (and thunderbolt-latency bound ;p).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mac_editor
No doubt, 8 GB is supposed to be enough for most tasks, but it feels a little "outdated" to me. Of course, even with Resident Evil II you can lower the details and it is still playable, but is this future-safe for a brand new and powerful card like RTX 2080 Super? I don't think so. I really feels a little unbalanced to me and I have/had a lot of cards.
There are other example with unbalanced cards like GTX 1060 (3GB), GTX 770 (2GB). An RX 470 (8GB) is an example of "unbalancy" vice versa, but this won't make any problems, of course.

Perhaps later I will derive a formula to calculate the optimal VRAM dependent of the Power 🙂

ReplyQuote