Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
RX 570 models and macOS 10.13.4 compatibility

RX 570 models and macOS 10.13.4 compatibility  

RSS

tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find out if there would be any differences between RX 570 models and brands with the native macOS 10.13.4 compatibility. I know RX 570 can differ in builds, like memory and clock, but I saw that they all have the same architecture. I wonder if this could affect compatibility on the macOS 10.13.4 version or it would only affect performance?

Examples:

- ASUS RADEON RX 570 4GB EXPEDITION OC EDITION GDDR5 256BITS
- SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 570 8GB

On Apple official eGPU support page ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544), it says: "These graphics cards are based on the AMD Polaris architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the Sapphire Pulse series and the AMD WX series". So, the Sapphire Pulse are "recommended", but not necessarily required?

Would be great to know if anyone has experience with this, and opinions from native RX 570 / RX 580 macOS 10.13.4 users and brands.

Cheers!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Steve the Developer
(@steve-the-developer)

Look at the chart at the bottom of   https://egpu.io/macos-external-gpu-review/

You will see that that both the RX 580 and RX 570 are in the same AMD Ellesmere GPU family.
That means they share the same instruction set and architecture, but differ in terms things like number of shader cores, clock speeds, etc. That affects performance but not software compatibility.

The RX 570 is used as the internal GPU in current iMacs. So you have nothing to worry about.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tiagoamaro
(@tiagoamaro)

Perfect @steve-the-developer! Thank you.

Just wanted to confirm that I would be getting the same card but with different specs. Thank you for confirming that they're all the same architecture but only differ on memory, processors and clock specs 👏

ReplyQuote