Share:

RX 590 - Mac OS 10.14.2 Mojave  

RSS

Woodz
(@woodz)
December 15, 2018 11:23 pm  

Hello all!

First off I'd just like to say thanks for all the info that's been posted here - very useful someone like me who is new and a total noob when it comes to the world of eGPUs. Also I'm sorry if this is posted in the incorrect section.

I've just purchased a Razer Core X GPU enclosure which I plan to hook up to my MacBook Pro 15" 2017. (2.9 Ghz i7, 16GB RAM). However, I'm a bit lost when looking for card to actually put into the enclosure. I'm going to be using it for gaming, mostly World Of Warcraft. As I understand, World Of Warcraft supports Metal. I would much rather stay on Mac OS. I know Mac OS isn't great for gaming but I don't fancy partitioning my hard drive to install windows via bootcamp just to play a single game.

Now, I've been trying to decide which card is best for me. I know an AMD RX 580 will work no problem. The thing is the 580 is a bit old now and the newer 590s are readily available here in the UK. The price difference from an 580 isn't really that much. Right now Overclockers UK have a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB for £209 while Amazon have Sapphire Nitro RX 590 8GB for £250 and I have a £30 amazon gift voucher I can use.

As far as I'm aware the RX 590 isn't 'officially' supported in 10.14.2. There is a thread in the Build Guide forum where someone uses this card with a 2018 Mac mini and they were not impressed with performance in Mac OS and put it down to a 'driver issue' ( https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-macmini-rx59032gbps-tb3-win10-mojave-10-14-2/).

I did chat with Razer support and they said the card should work, but hadn't done any internal testing of their own so couldn't confirm it would work without issue. I also e-mailed Sapphire's support who said the card is supported, but Mac OS won't recognise the name of the card and it may appear as a 'Ellesmere XT'. They didn't go into any details about performance, they literally just sent me a screenshot from an internal team document that states that Mojave contains the drivers for AMD Radeon Graphics. Here is the screenshot they sent me for anyone who is interested:  https://imgur.com/a/Wg3sTfF

---

Is anyone using, or has used, an RX 590 with Mac OS 10.14.2 who can chime in and share their experience?

Is the performance gain for an RX 590 even worth the extra cash? I've read it's extremely minimal, some people think it was pointless of AMD to release the card in the first place.

Buy used? I could buy a used 580 but it looks like it can be a bit of a minefield buying used AMD GPU's (pun intended!).

Should I just wait? Lots of rumours about Navi and CES is in early January. However, I'm assuming that if any new cards are released it'll be a while before they'll be officially supported. But I hope that a new series of card would drive the prices of the older 5xx series down.

I'm sorry for all the questions. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 2017
Razer Core X
AMD ????????

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 16, 2018 3:49 am  

The RX 590 has drivers in macOS 10.14 and should work with 10.14.2. The issues many (myself included) have experienced is that certain cards has compatibility issue in macOS. The XFX RX 590 Fatboy I tried worked in Windows Boot Camp but did not like macOS. I'd say it's best to wait a month and see what's in store at CES 2019.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
December 16, 2018 8:18 am  

I’d maybe grab a second hand 580 now and see what the new year brings. 
I don’t fully believe the Navi rumours- people claiming 2070 level performance at half the price, that makes zero business sense, 25% cheaper makes more sense... and they couldn’t release a card more powerful than the 590 one month later and sell it for cheaper without risking a massive backlash, would love to be proved wrong though.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote