Notifications
Clear all

Ryzen 4000 Laptops & eGPUs  

of  3
  RSS

txz81
(@txz81)

@nu_ninja @nutype Disappointing, the new CPUs seem to perform really well for their power consumption

Dell 15 9575 2-in-1 - i7 8705G
Zotac AMP Box Mini
Asus Dual OC RTX 2070 Mini

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9575 [8th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OversizedMattress
(@oversizedmattress)

@zovc I don’t think it’s likely we’ll see many Zen 2/Ryzen 4000 laptops with Thunderbolt 3, and they still wouldn’t have the Thunderbolt controller built into the CPU like in Intel’s Ice Lake laptops, so you still wouldn’t get the same level of eGPU performance.

However, AMD’s Zen 3/Ryzen 5000 is rumoured to release by the end of this year, with USB-4 support (which should include Thunderbolt 3 compatibility). So maybe by CES 2021 we could be seeing good AMD-based options for eGPU builds.

2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tmashpotatos
(@tmashpotatos)

@nando4, Based on your bullet points this sparked my curiosity, with my 3500u Motile laptop, the internal display turns off with eGPU connected over M.2, there is a bios mod with option to change hybrid graphics option, should I give it a try in a sense that this behavior is based on BIOS not APU behavior?

Would really appreciate any response, thank you!

PS: You helped me to get my GTX470 working with my VAIO VPCEB12 express card 10 years ago 😉

This post was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@tmashpotatos, suggest hide the eGPU from the BIOS using eGPU adapter switches like CLKRUN/PERST so the BIOS configures your iGPU/dGPU as if the eGPU isn't attached. More details at:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tmashpotatos
(@tmashpotatos)

@nando4, thank you, you should add a donate button!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Results45
(@results45)

I just Googled "AMD Thunderbolt motherboards" and it seems that the only two in existence right now are the AsRock Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 and Gigabyte TRX40 Designare.

This means that OEM partners like Gigabyte can probably add TB3 or TB4 support into laptops, but one has to wonder if they would charge an $50 (which is reasonable) or $100 extra for what would currently be an uncommon line of Ryzen laptops with Thunderbolt?

On the flip side, it's suspected that Ryzen 5000 laptops in the coming year will support USB 4.0 which if a reality means that we will see AMD laptop SKUs with Thunderbolt 3/4 functionality without the branding.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

@results45, unfortunately TB3 interoperability with USB4.0 implementations is optional for hosts and peripherals. Hopefully we will see some AMD laptops using it, but it's difficult to get it right without compatibility issues.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@odin, If the host supports PCIe tunnelling but doesn't support Thunderbolt devices, then you can connect a Thunderbolt device to a USB4 hub to make it work.
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/first-daisy-chainable-upgradable-egpu/#post-75469

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

Results45 and odin liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

@joevt, We can hope! I'm not too keen to spend more money to get a hub just to connect an eGPU. I'd probably side with going Tiger Lake in that case.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Results45
(@results45)

@odin, In light of 8-core Tiger Lake SKUs releasing in December/January, would you hold your wallet for one more year until Alder Lake drops? Cuz it will support PCIe Gen 4 (would it only matter if using an eGPU via a M.2 slot?). Other rumors in the mill say that it might support DDR5 and PCIe Gen 5, but I'm betting that that only applies to desktop CPUs if they're true at all.

Then again, Tiger Lake-H will definitely be worth the upgrade over sticking to current 6-core offerings it if it comes with an iGPU that matches a 1650TI on top of Thunderbolt 4 support.

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote
 of  3