Should I buy eGFX or PCIe enclosure for my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 for my A1706 M...

Notifications
Clear all

Should I buy eGFX or PCIe enclosure for my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 for my A1706 MacBook Pro late 2017 touch bar 13inch?  

RSS

Hang Chen
(@hang_chen)

Hey guys, I am fairly new to eGPU but wanna give it a try. I had an "EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC ACX2.0 4GB GDDR5 DirectX 12 PCI Express 3.0 x16" GPU that was installed on my Hackintosh and now I wanna use it as an eGPU for my late 2017 MacBook Pro A1706.

From this guide  https://egpu.io/setup-guide-external-graphics-card-mac/ I see there are two types of the enclosure for T3, which are eGFX and PCIe. Although my GPU supports PCIe for sure, it seems eGFX is better and also backward compatible with PCIe?

Is there any place I can check for the compatible issues for GTX 980 for the enclosure including size, power, cooling, etc? Plus, what else should I be cautious about?

Thanks guys! 🙂

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote