Sonnet 650 vs sonnet 550? Are there more differences than just the PSU?

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet 650 vs sonnet 550? Are there more differences than just the PSU?  

of  2
  RSS

PetrolMan
(@petrolman)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know what are the differences between the sonnet 550 and 650?

Is it that the 650 just has a higher wattage PSU or is there a difference in the main board as well? Maybe firmware even? 

Any other differences that I am not aware of?

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

They are exactly the same apart from the bigger PSU as per specs.  Prior to the release of the 650 box, Sonnet KB 914 advised a warranty-supported PSU upgrade to allow use of the high wattage AMD Vega64/FE/WX9100 cards:

AMD Radeon Vega 64 (air cooled), Vega Frontier Edition (air cooled) or WX9100:
If connected to a TB3 desktop computer or any TB2 computer, this relieves the Breakaway Box from providing 87W Power Delivery, and in this configuration, the stock Breakaway Box 550 will support a Vega 64 (air-cooled), Vega FE (air-cooled) or WX9100.

If connected to a TB3 laptop computer, these cards require a 650W power supply.  Sonnet has Thunderbolt certified the eGFX Breakaway Box models including their power supplies, and we cannot officially recommend changing the power supply. if you must have Vega 64, FE or WX9100 support now, you can replace the stock power supply in any model Breakaway Box with an Enermax ERV650SWT Revolution SFX 650W Plus Gold. If you upgrade to this power supply, Sonnet will honor the warranty for all other covered components.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
PetrolMan
(@petrolman)

Posted by: nando4

They are exactly the same apart from the bigger PSU as per specs.  Prior to the release of the 650 box, Sonnet KB 914 advised a warranty-supported PSU upgrade to allow use of the high wattage AMD Vega64/FE/WX9100 cards:

AMD Radeon Vega 64 (air cooled), Vega Frontier Edition (air cooled) or WX9100:
If connected to a TB3 desktop computer or any TB2 computer, this relieves the Breakaway Box from providing 87W Power Delivery, and in this configuration, the stock Breakaway Box 550 will support a Vega 64 (air-cooled), Vega FE (air-cooled) or WX9100.

If connected to a TB3 laptop computer, these cards require a 650W power supply.  Sonnet has Thunderbolt certified the eGFX Breakaway Box models including their power supplies, and we cannot officially recommend changing the power supply. if you must have Vega 64, FE or WX9100 support now, you can replace the stock power supply in any model Breakaway Box with an Enermax ERV650SWT Revolution SFX 650W Plus Gold. If you upgrade to this power supply, Sonnet will honor the warranty for all other covered components.

Thanks. I have a vega 64 LQ and a corsair ax860i so I guess Ill just the sonnet 650 and then replace the psu.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
detunedradios
(@detunedradios)
Trusted Member

The ERV650SWT that Sonnet used to recommend for anyone looking to upgrade their existing box is in fact the same PSU they are now using officially in the 650.

I believe they also use a different cooling fan, but that's the only other difference.

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7GHz Core i7, Radeon Pro 460 4GB, 1TB SSD
Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, modded with 650W PSU, with Radeon RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
PetrolMan
(@petrolman)

Thank you

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

From Sonnet FAQ:

Sonnet uses the Enermax ERV650SWT SFX 80 Plus Gold in the Breakaway Box 650. Sonnet uses the higher-performance Akasa AK-FN059 fan in Breakaway Box 650.

Update, the model in the new Breakaway Box 650 is a High Power 650W, I cannot find the model on their website.  Purchased February 2019.
It has a PSU switch and is fairly quiet.

This post was modified 1 year ago

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

Note that I think that I have a newer version of this Sonnet eGPU with a different PSU that has a larger, quieter fan.

The model in my new Breakaway Box 650 is a High Power HP1-J650GD-F12S - 650W, I cannot find the model on their website. Purchased February 2019.
It has a PSU switch and is fairly quiet in comparison to the Enermax ERV650SWT SFX 80 because it has a much larger fan.  It also is larger and looks like an ATX PSU, not SFX.

Best wishes.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti_1)
Estimable Member

Dear all

I just received my Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 from Amazon.fr refurbished, "good condition", got it at 256 EUR. 

It is the first time Amazon deceives me with regards to the condition of the unit: Please let me know your opinion wether I should sent it back or not. I can get the 550 W version for 300 EUR only this weekend, and it suffices for the Nitro+ RX 5700 XT I am receiving early next week.

The unit does have the HighPower PSU mentioned above (HP1-J650GD-F12S), but the cables are missing (AC and TB3), while it has some impacts on the upper structure as my pictures show.

IMG 7776 1
IMG 7777 1

I have no clue what they were trying to do: Straighten it up?

What is your opinion? Should I send it back?

Jaime

This post was modified 6 months ago

Mac Mini 2018 i7 16 GB 512 GB SSD, Mac Book Pro 2016, HP Z31x, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 W, Nitro+ RX5700 XT, KFA2 SNPR 1060 6GB eGPU,...

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

@petrolman

PSU only

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti_1)
Estimable Member

Dear all

I reported to Apple my issues with the Sonnet Breakaway 550 that I cannot make work with my Mac Mini.

After 48 hours of deliberations, they came back to me saying they had found the reason: I was using the 550 Watt version when their recommended setup is with he 650 W version, as set forth in their website:

Graphical card support

Evidently, they were looking for a reason not to continue looking. This is a French support team and that is how things work, customer service is not too much embedded in French culture. I have had issues with non-french products in France and only managed to get support when contacting their homebase directly (iRobot and Brabantia). 

Evidently this is BS since it is clear that it is not necessary so much power, it is oversized even when considering the 85 W needed for MacBook charging, that I do not need. It is clearly written on the Sonnet website compatibility chart. The RX 5700 needs only the Sonnet Breakaway 350, and there is only a difference of 80 W or so.

Any thoughts? Is it worth the while to even try to upgrade the PSU ? Can I contact Apple US directly somehow ?

Regards,

JA

Mac Mini 2018 i7 16 GB 512 GB SSD, Mac Book Pro 2016, HP Z31x, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 W, Nitro+ RX5700 XT, KFA2 SNPR 1060 6GB eGPU,...

ReplyQuote
 of  2