Sonnet 650 vs sonnet 550? Are there more differences than just the PSU?

Notifications
Clear all

Sonnet 650 vs sonnet 550? Are there more differences than just the PSU?  

of  2
  RSS

hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @jangoloti_1

Dear all

I reported to Apple my issues with the Sonnet Breakaway 550 that I cannot make work with my Mac Mini.

After 48 hours of deliberations, they came back to me saying they had found the reason: I was using the 550 Watt version when their recommended setup is with he 650 W version, as set forth in their website:

Graphical card support

Evidently, they were looking for a reason not to continue looking. This is a French support team and that is how things work, customer service is not too much embedded in French culture. I have had issues with non-french products in France and only managed to get support when contacting their homebase directly (iRobot and Brabantia). 

Evidently this is BS since it is clear that it is not necessary so much power, it is oversized even when considering the 85 W needed for MacBook charging, that I do not need. It is clearly written on the Sonnet website compatibility chart. The RX 5700 needs only the Sonnet Breakaway 350, and there is only a difference of 80 W or so.

Any thoughts? Is it worth the while to even try to upgrade the PSU ? Can I contact Apple US directly somehow ?

Regards,

JA

Yes, you can chat with them on the apple support app on an iPhone.  It should work the same with either PSU, this is an excuse.

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti_1)
Estimable Member

@hornedfrog

I changed the TB3 cable on Sonnet's support suggestion and it worked. The Plugable Technologies cable I had bought on amazon.fr had worked for some days but stopped doing so.

Mac Mini 2018 i7 16 GB 512 GB SSD, Mac Book Pro 2016, HP Z31x, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 W, Nitro+ RX5700 XT, KFA2 SNPR 1060 6GB eGPU,...

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

@jangoloti_1

Thank you.  I will try the cable swap.

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
 of  2